Data Only upgrade

Jaise James

Reputable Poster
Hello,

I have a seperate set of hardware for E811 and would like to upgrade my business data to this release form E810.

In order to this upgrade, what all do I need to do. My data base server in this case is also different. I am not planning to to a inplace upgrade.

any idea /suggestion will be much appriciated

These are the high level steps to follow (one way to do it at least):

1. Install 8.10 on your new deployment and enterprise servers, and get it completely working.
2. Copy the business data from the current server to the new server via your database tools, not JDE - it's too slow.
3. Run through a standard upgrade on your new servers. If you want to do a data-only upgrade, then don't run the spec merge as part of the upgrade.

Andrew

Sorry, I forgot to mention that the method I posted wouldn't bring over anything like security, environment/OCM changes, printers, submitted jobs, etc. Just business data. If you copy the system database to the new server, be careful because all the tech tables like datasources will point to your old server. I just moved our system to new servers, and there were a few tables to update. Not to mention getting the MSDE database and the registry for ESUs copied between the deployment servers (and don't forget to update all tables for the new server names). There are some docs on Customer Connection on changing server names that will be helpful. What you need to do really depends on what you require. If it's truly a data-only upgrade, then a lot of this is unnecessary. You really need to plan this out before starting.

Andrew

Back