New 8.11 Deployment Server - starting point?

lemieux

Hello List,

We are planning an "xe" to 8.11 - SP1 - 8.95 upgrade during the month of October. We are using a new Deployment Server for the 8.11 upgrade.

Were fine w/ the upgrade itself but are getting "mixed messages" about the starting point (what needs to be copied from the "xe" Deployment Server to the new 8.11 Deployment Server).

Other than the new Deployment Server meeting /exceeding the MTR's and importing the ODBC's from our "xe" deployment server to our 8.11 deployment Server, could you tell me exactly what else needs to be on the new Deployment server prior to inserting the 1st 8.11 CD?

Thank-You

Lemieux

OneWorld xe, iseries 400, V5R3, sp23

Just importing odbc is not sufficinet... Your ODBC for planner datasource need to be manaully mapped to the msaccess database on your old deployment server

I would say you want a complete functional deployment server before starting. I just moved our deployment server to a VM server and these are the steps I followed (sorry for the formatting, I copied it from an MS Word doc):

1. Install Adobe Acrobat Reader
2. Install Winzip
3. Install MS Visual Studio C++ 6.0
a. Install C++ 6.0
b. Copy Visual Studio environment variables from user to system
c. Install C++ SP5
4. Copy the entire B9 shared directory from the old deployment server to the new server in a temporary directory
5. Install JDE:
a. Install Deployment server CD disk 1 and 2 (install MSDE before JDE on the first disk)
b. Replace with directories from old server:
i. Detach all MSDE databases
ii. Copy directories from old server into d:\peoplesoft\b9
iii. Reattach all MSDE databases
iv. Stop the MSDE SQL Server
v. Copy the “DataMSSQL$JDELOCAL” directory from the old deployment server to the new server.
vi. Start the MSDE SQL Server
vii. Do not replace the jde.ini in the windows directory – it has the correct paths for MS C++, the server name, JDE path, etc.
c. Import the OneWorld Windows Installer registry entry from the old deployment server. This entry is located under HKey_Local_Machine/Software/JDEdwards. This entry is needed for ESU information.
d. Share the d:\peoplesoft\B9 directory
6. Because this is a Windows 2003 server add the following to the [Debug] section of the jde.ini: OWDEVELOPER=TRUE
7. Test

Cheers,

Andrew

Preparing the deployment server

Verify all MTR’s Make sure you are using the correct client access drivers on all workstations and deployment server. Using V5R1 drivers can cause some QDASOINIT jobs to request 16MB more memory for some processes. Make sure current MDAC level is installed (2.7.a ).

Export the ODBC's from one deployment server to the other.
The ODBC’s from the previous deployment server will need to be copied to the new deployment server – using an export of the registry is using the fastest method for this. The data source that is most important is the System since this is used to copy the previous environment information when you create an Upgrade plan.

Copy the path codes, including planner, from one server to another (or just lift the whole B733 directory). Set the permissions so that there are no restrictions (Everyone / All).
Or, the OneWorld Previous Planner datasource will need to be manually edited to point to the old deployment server through a mapped drive – copying the jdeplan.mdb to a location on the new deployment server is not required but this could also be done if you don’t wish to use a mapped drive. The real purpose of the OneWorld Previous Planner is let the plan determine which datasource to use to pull previous environment information – again this is normally the System – B7333 or System – B7334. There may be a need for clients to change the OneWorld Planner – B7333 or other previous planner datasource. This is usually seen as a database connection problem at the beginning of the plan creation.

Since the old deployment server already has the server share path and the deployment information is brought forward into the plan during the first few screens – there is no need to copy the actual folders from the old deployment server to the new since it will locate the old files that are needed during spec merge based on the machine and server share path in the pathcode master for the previous release. You may have to copy source or include manually only if the old previous plan information was incorrect and if the 2 steps above were not done properly.

Really that should be all there is since the biggest piece of using the old release is the previous plan information.

Andrew, Fred, Nick, my apologies. I left out a very important piece of information and that is the new deployment server is a second deployment server. Our original DS "abc" will remain for Production until Phase II.

Our new DS "xyz" is a net new DS to be used for JD, DV & PY which is our Phase I.

What I wanted to know is, other than the MTR's for the new DS "xyz"
what needs to be on this new DS prior to beginning the 8.11/SP1/8.95 upgrade.

We are getting mixed messages. As best we know, we only need to;

1) export the registry from Old DS to new DS and
2) create an ODBC on the new DS to point to the planner database on the old DS.

Thanks again, Lemieux

Back