Adobe 7.0 and attachment quality

SULLY1

VIP Member
Is anyone else having problems with Adobe 7.0 and XE? When attaching a .pdf file with 7.0 installed the quality of the .pdf goes bad after attaching it to a purchase order. If you open the document using adobe reader outside of OneWorld the file looks fine. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. It's year-end and the users are panicking.

Patty

What do you mean by "bad"? Is it no longer legible? Is this 100% Citrix? Do you have color depth set to 8-bit on the TSE's? I have a hard time understanding why a client side app would corrupt a PDF file generated by an Enterprise server. The source file isn't modified in any way by Adobe Reader - now if the users have Acrobat 7 and are actually modding the file, thats another story. They are uploading the file as an attachment and it is being converted to a MediaObject? What does this look like on fat or web client?

Charles

Thanks for the response. After the file is attached using a fat client or terminal server the quality is degraded drastically. It's readable, but barely. Do I set the color depth on my fat client using the control panel?

Patty

Based on the symptom, I'd be surprised if this has anything to do with it, but its worth a shot and only takes a second. You would change it using the display properties, one can access easily by right clicking the desktop, selecting properties then settings and Colors is an option.

What type of server do you use to run the UBE?

UBE's are usually run locally or on the Unix server. I don't believe the file that's being attached was generated from a ube. I believe the file was created with adobe. I don't see a color depth option. I have color quality and it's set to 32 bit. I only other option is 16 bit not 8.

Patty

32-bit is excellent. As for the file, if it wasn't created in JDE but is being uploaded and viewed via JDE - perhaps you don't have the compatible fonts in the system/resource/truetype directory? Perhaps it is a Unicode font and you don't have the Unicode files? This is bizarre, but you've explained a bit more by saying they are possibly creating a file through Adobe and then attaching it to a PO.

In Reader, select the File menu, then Document Properties, then Fonts. It should show you which fonts were used to create the file. If you view the summary information it should show you the engine used to create the file. A JDE created PDF would usually say "J.D. Edwards Company".

The true font is ArialMT. The producer is Acrobat PDFWriter 3.03 for Windows NT. Could that be the problem?

Patty

It could be...I'd look for an Arial font package to plop in the system/resource/truetype directory. You should remove Adobe*.lst files before starting up the client to refresh the font list. There is an open source unicode compliant Arial font library available from SourceForge (not sure if they work with Xe/8.0!)

Since 8.9 and beyond we've had to use those fonts on the UNIX server (mostly due to Microsoft license restrictions and character set limitations.)

You could give that one a shot if the Microsoft Arial font doesn't work for you, or you might go into the Windows\fonts directory on the source machine and dig the fonts out of there.

Look for these in the windows\fonts directory:

arial.ttf, ariali.ttf, arialbd.ttf, arialbi.ttf

Another thing would be that old version of Acrobat they are using. These days you can find them for free, it doesn't have to be official Adobe for it to work - your mileage may vary but it is always worth a shot. Hey, if it works you'll look like a hero.

Charles

Thanks for all your help. I tried playing with the truetype folder to no avail. I had our techs put Adobe 6.0 on my machine and that solved the problem. I have a call into Oracle but they havn't gotten back to me. I'll let you know the outcome.

Patty

Good luck. They'll probably say that they only support Adobe Acrobat Reader 4.0. This is still the version they have listed in their MTR's.

Actually the latest MTR's for XE do not specify an Adobe version like they did in the past. I've heard back from Oracle. They downloaded Adobe 7.0 and they get "There was an error opening this document". I don't get an error, just the quality issue, plus the attachment stays opened in the media objects screen where as in a lesser versions of Adobe you just see the .pdf icon in the body. They are in the process of downloading the latest updates for Adobe 7.0 and will get back to me. Basically, it looks like they are going to need a service pack to get this fixed and it may be too lated for SP23_L1 due out 10/18/05. I'll keep you posted.

Patty

Back