Deployment server on Vmware ESX

mkellow

I am having troubles building full packages on our new deployment server. It seems that it can build update packages but not full packages.

The deployment server is a p2v copy of our original server running on VMware ESX server.

I would like to know if there is anyone out there running their deployment server in Vmware ESX ?? and if so have they had any problems ?

Thanks
Matthew Kellow

[ QUOTE ]
The deployment server is a p2v copy of our original server running on VMware ESX server.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yuck! My sympathy! Our lan group has also succumb to VM-Ware fever. Every time we ask for a new server they try to shove VM-Ware down our throats. We have tried out VMWare deployment servers. They stink. Go back to a real server.

I have a vm-ware batch server. It's substantially slower than a physical box. I live with it because it supports our PY and DV environments only.

I have a VMWare fat client. It is substantially slower than a physical computer. Since I don't use it very often, that is acceptible.

I have one VMWare terminal server. If tuned correctly, it can hold it's own against a physical terminal server. Attached is an analysis of a vm-ware terminal servers vs. physical servers. As you will see, if not tuned correctly, it performed poorly.

I am trying out VMWare for hosting IBM Websphere 5.02 and JAS. That expiriment bombed right out of the gate. After fifteen tries, I could not even begin to load Webshere on that box. I kept running into memory errors loading the Java Client. I gave up and went physical.

Don't even think about VMWare for a production Enterprise server.

VMWare has it's place for test boxes and other low-end, no high performance needed, applications. Just keep it the heck away from my production JDE servers. It cannot handle the load.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Attachments

• 97229-terminal server load.xls
    22 KB · Views: 117
Recently i have done a migration DS and ES to VMWare. did not have a signle issue. What was your approche of installing the new DS?

Matthew,

I too have had a lot of bad experience with p2v VMware images of JDE servers... very unstable, particularily with the Enterprise server. However, I have successfully set up a JDE install two times with NEW images without any glitches at all. This install runs ONLY DV and PY environments (I agree 100% with Gregg on this). Nevertheless, it is very stable. From hands on experience, p2v is no way to go with JDE. Setup NEW server images and then simply copy over the deployment server and the enterprise server using the DOCS from the knowledge garden on how to change out the deployment server and enterprise server. Works like a charm.

Back