Multiple developers on Win2k Terminal Server running E1 8.11

richkrouse

I am attempting to configure a Win2k Terminal Server to support multiple simultaneous development users. I have created a copy of the E811 specs for each developer, then created a separate jde.ini for each developer pointing to their set of specs. The developer-specific jde.ini was placed in their Windows profile in a directory called "windows". My problem is, that even though there is a jde.ini in the user's profile, the jde executable is still pulling the jde.ini from c:\WINNT, not the user-specific jde.ini in their profile. Please let me know if there is some other tweak that needs to be made in order for this to work....

Thanks

Are you using roaming profiles?

[ QUOTE ]
I am attempting to configure a Win2k Terminal Server to support multiple simultaneous development users. I have created a copy of the E811 specs for each developer, then created a separate jde.ini for each developer pointing to their set of specs. The developer-specific jde.ini was placed in their Windows profile in a directory called "windows". My problem is, that even though there is a jde.ini in the user's profile, the jde executable is still pulling the jde.ini from c:\WINNT, not the user-specific jde.ini in their profile. Please let me know if there is some other tweak that needs to be made in order for this to work....

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Roaming profiles was causing this similar issue for me when I setup my WTS development machine. Verify that the users hitting that machine do not have roaming profiles.

Type %homedrive%%homepath% from start run while logged on as the user on the terminal server... the windows directory at this location is where the ini will be read from ...If the ini is being overwritten from the one in c:\winnt, then the date of the file in the %homedrive%%homepath% \windows dir is older than the one in the c:\winnt dir....

Rich,

I would go a different direction. Rather than trying to get Citrix to work for a group of remote developers, try setting up a VMware Host server instead. With VMware, you will have one physical server, but can then create a whole bunch of virtual Fat Clients running on that box. You will not have to deal with the registry changes, multiple sets of specs, multiple INIs that a citrix remote development box requires. There are also some issues launching debugger that have been noted here on the list. Lastly, vmware and virtual pcs will make setting up Websphere Express much simpler.

Just my $.02

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

We're using a combination of WTS, VMware and regular Win XP fat clients for development. WTS is only used for research and "light development" (e.g. VO, DD, table, BV).

The 4 fat clients on a VMware Virtual Server can be intolerably slow, especially the first time we checkout and the first time we save applications or UBEs, whether or not there are other fat clients in use on the same server. Subsequent check in and check out actions seem fine, as well as subsequent saves.

Gregg, are there specific recommendations for using VMware for development (vs. enterprise, deployment servers, etc.) in your white paper?

Any other suggestions for using VMware for serving development?

Tried to post this before, but it doesn't appear to have been saved.

We use a WTS server for light development (VO, DD, tables, BV) and a combination of regular XP workstations and a VMware Virtual Server (with 4 workstations).

The VMware server can be intolerably slow for the first checkout and the first save after a reboot. Subsequent checkouts, checkins and saves seem normal.

Gregg, does your white paper address using VMware for development (as opposed to deployment, enterprise server, etc.)?

Any other suggestions / recommendations for using VMware for development?

Back