Spec file size limit in XE? Objects out of sync? - UBE error

vasoov

Good day folks,

My UBEs running in PY environment on an enterprise server are running into errors. The same object running locally on a fat client runs without problems.

When I look at the debug logs on the server, one of the errors I see is "possible ER spec corruption". I have noticed that the gbrspec file is 2GB in size only in this environment. DV and PD gbrspec files are smaller and we do not have any problems. I am running XE on Win2K3 with SP22 and have done several full builds without success.

Any ideas much appreciated.

Do you have a full server package installed on there server?
If not get one ready and then deploy it on the server then your UBS’s should run normally

Sorry I did not see that server package was not success.
What sort of error you get on the server log?
Check your complier and reinstall it is possible to get the server package running.

Actually there is no problem when building and deploying the full package. However when I run certain customised UBEs on the enterprise server right after the package build, I get an error with "possible ER spec corruption" in the UBE debug log. Other UBEs run fine. My gbrspec file is 2GB ,so I am wondering whether there may be a problem or not, as previously there was a problem where XE had problems with files over 2GB. This was supposed to have been corrected with SP22?? which I am currently using

My gbrspec are more then 2G’s and I have no problem with server nor client packages and I’m running on SP17 (oldie)
When you develop new UBE do you create an update package for it on the server and if so can you install it on the server?

If your GRBSPEC files are significantly different in size between environments, you have a problem. Think of it this way. New objects are generally created in Development and promoted up through Prototype to Production. Given this scenario, Development should be slightly larger that Prototype and Prototype should be slightly larger than Production. If you have no packages pending in Development or Prototype, the GRBSPEC files in all your environments should be very close to the same size.

I have direct experience in dealing with this. Our Development environment got messed up sometime before we upgraded to Xe. An Oracle GSC support person, Bill Herbert, was instrumental in helping us get things back in order. I highly recommend enlisting his help to fix your Prototype environment.

Re: A 2GB spec file size exists in XE/Win2K? - SOLVED

Looks like the 2GB limit does exist. I found the solution to my problem in PSFT solution ID 200783453. For those who develop in C, the fseek function, which I suppose is used to seek through the TAM files can only handle offsets up to 2^31 bytes which gives the limit of 2GB. No wonder our server specs were being corrupt after each update package as we were on the 2GB borderline.

Vasoov,

I checked the reference you provided and it makes no reference to fseek. Rather it refers to a work-around for TAM files are too large for some operating systems.

Sounds to me like you don't have Windows for your E.S. but rather a UNIX OS. If so, your file systems were not created to support large files and need to be recreated to support large file sizes > 2GB.

Hi Larry,

Indeed, I checked the reference prior to posting. The SQL scripts in the reference do diminish the size of the server TAM files. We have already applied the solution and it works perfectly. We are a 100% Windows environment.

I have developed in C on the Windows platform and I think that the executable code used by XE when processing TAM files on a Windows ent/terminal server uses standard C file I/O functions. One function which is commonly used during file manipulation in C is fseek() which can handle offsets of up to 2^31 or 2,147,483,648 bytes. This was the exact size of our gbrspec file on the enterprise server after an update package. The size never increased beyond this limit.

When we ran UBEs after an update package, the jdelogs showed us that there was "possible ER spec corruption" and at some point I remember seeing "seek" errors as well. I think that PSFT is aware of this problem as the solution ID 200783453 is entitled "2-Gigabyte Scripts to Reduce the TAM File Size for Server Package Builds"

However, our client specs are 1.8GB and have not reduced in size. This poses a problem, as I wonder what will happen once these client files hit the 2GB limit?

Good stuff Vasoov, but for someone with a 100% Windows environment, why do you have AIX in your signature? Just curious.

Hi Charles,
cool.gif

To your question:
[ QUOTE ]
why do you have AIX in your signature? Just curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

...the key words are:
[ QUOTE ]
our client

[/ QUOTE ]

As I had read it, Vasoo is working on not only a single platform - and there isn't enough space in the Signature of profile to list all (I know it).

All of you, forgive me this non add-on post.

Regards,

Zoltán

Yeah, it is Friday and I was being a smart alec. I didn't really get into all of the prior details. See what I get?
tongue.gif

Actually, I did re-read his post and I still stand by my original smart alec comment. One would usually assume, and by "one" I mean "I", that a "100% Windows environment" remark in response to an assumption about a UNIX server warrants such a follow up. Wah-wah-wahhhhh.

WRT to the signature, we have a pre-production database on DB2/AIX (not relevent for this post). We also have an E810/iSeries setup (not mentioned in the signature) The PY environment is 100% Windows

I was just having a little fun with you. Thanks for clearing that up, Vasoov. Have a great weekend.

Back