Sales order next number generation

Mukund

I am new to JDEdwards and need to build an interface applicaiton in Java to get the next sales order number and write into JD Edwards table (F4201)

My current approach is to look up on table F0002 and pick up the value (against row - Sales order - syst code 42) in the column 'NNN001' and adding 1 to it for generating the next sales order number. I also notice there are a lot of columns with description next numbers (NNN002 - NNN010)

Can somebody confirm if what I am doing is the right approach. If there are better ways of doing it, your suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

You should tell us more about why you want to do this first. If you are
building an interface into JD Edwards so that you can import sales order
data from an outside system, JDE already has a batch program that will
handle the data.

Andy
www.JDEtips.com

There is provision for up to 10 next numbers per system. You are using System 42 next number index 1 for Sales Order, which is correct.

If you select menu option G00/16 you will see how the numbers are defined. Action code I, product code 42 will show you how the 10 next numbers are assigned for that system. You should find that the first one is Sales Order.

Sometimes the index to use is defined in the data dictionary. For example, inquire on SHPN and you'll see on the last line of the display that it uses next number system 42, index 8.

Generally you should pick up the next number as soon as you need it, store it, increment it and rewrite the F0002 record immediately. That ought to reserve that number for that job, but it could result in numbering gaps, as happens in JDE, if for some reason your sales order record never gets written. You ought also to consider whether you need to allow for the possibility of the number having been used anyway even though you have reserved it - Sales Order file out of step with Next Numbers file.

Re: RE: Sales order next number generation

Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply.

Let me explain why I want to do this, we have a webbased application for processing certain specific types of service orders. This system is currently disconnected from the JDEdwards system and it also generates its own set of sales order number scheme.

For improved tracking, we want to make the JDEdwards system the only source for generating sales order numbers. So my plan is to write a Java application which will fetch the next Sales Order number (from JD Edwards - F0002) and create a new sales order number in JD Edwards and pass it to the external web based application.

Am I thinking in the right direction.

Regards,
Mukund

RE: RE: Sales order next number generation

What you are saying makes sense to me. However, I'm not a programmer, and I
can't advise you on the technical solution.

Andy

=======================================================================
CONTROL: BUTTON Get SO No
EVENT: Button Clicked
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
OPT: Using Defaults
0001 //
0002 FC Fiscal Year = ""
0003 FC Century = ""
0004 FC Order Number - DOCO = ""
0005 F0002 Get F4201 Next Number
FC Order Number - DOCO <> BF mnOrderNumber
FC Order Company - KCOO <> BF szKeyCompany
FC Order Type - DCTO <> BF szOrderType
SL DateToday -> BF jdTransactionDate
FC Century <> BF mnCentury
FC Fiscal Year <> BF mnFiscalYear

I am new to JDEdwards and need to build an interface applicaiton in Java to get the next sales order number and write into JD Edwards table (F4201)

My current approach is to look up on table F0002 and pick up the value (against row - Sales order - syst code 42) in the column 'NNN001' and adding 1 to it for generating the next sales order number. I also notice there are a lot of columns with description next numbers (NNN002 - NNN010)

Can somebody confirm if what I am doing is the right approach. If there are better ways of doing it, your suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
This is the correct approach. There other types are for different types, like direct ship, shipment number etc.

I wuold not roll out my own logic using table I/O etc.. SO numbering can be based on next numbers by fiscal year, F00021, (if set up) or basic next numbers from F0002
Better to use the Bsfn B4200030 as per @Ken Lim response above as this will automatically pull the next number from the correct table and increment the number

Aarto

Back