Overrride Object Transfer in XE

john_holben

<html>

Does anyone know how to override the OMW rules in OneWorld XE and use old Object Transfer application to copy objects between environments?</P>

Many thanks for any help in advance</P>

John</P>

NT4SP6/SQL7SP2/B7333/SP14.1</P><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
</p></html>

Hello John,

I see two options for you:
1-For testing purposes, you may consider using the "Get" Row Exit in OMW; however this option doesn't Transfer objects. It just loads (copies) central objects specs on the workstation.

2-Go back to B7332 (it was a joke :)

But, why would you want to avoid OMW's activity rules? Was it not configured properly with OMC? The KG has lots and lots of documents, however the training class was really efficient for me ...

Regards,

Adrian Chimirel
Programmer Analyst
LIVE: B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806
SANDBOX: XE SP13, 8i
RS/6000, Citrix, 200+ clients

Maybe John feels the same way as our I.T. staff that OMW is a bloated monster. OMW rules and restrictions and processes make life a lot tougher for people not involved in major development projects. In addition, because of OMW we apparently have lost other tools such as the Version Copy program.

Maybe after I've used it for a year I'll feel differently. For now its on my Top 10 Peeves with JDE list - and I'm sure I'm not alone in feeling that way.

Thanks for letting me vent my frustrations.

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld B733.1, SP 11.3
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
SandBox: OneWorld XE

Hi John,

At first a little correction. I suppose, you have meant "to copy objects between PATH CODES" instead of "to copy objects between ENVIRONMEnTS".

You can enable to use Object Transfer application as well as Object Librarian with a little bit modification of these applications.
If you have trouble how to do it then let me know and I will explain it if you REALLY want to do it.
BUT I STRONGLY DO NOT recommend to use these APPLs under XE except for test purpose on a test installation.

If Object Transfers are recurring tasks for you then you have to set up Status Codes, Activity Rules, Allowed Actions for the specific directions ONLY ONCE and you can use OMW to accomplish your tasks.
I know, it means to enter a lot of records under OMC but you can use status 21 and 21 to 26 promotion as a sample.
You can export the records to Excel and easily modify (replace) fields in Excel then import the modified records under the new statuses and status promotions.

I really hope, you will choose this second way.

Zoltán

B7332 SP11, ESU 4116422, Intel NT4, SQL 7 SP1
(working with B7321, B7331, XE too)

I thought the allowed actions and transfer rules where kind of overkill for a really small development effort. The nice thing is you can easily modify these to suit your needs. We got rid of most of the roles and streamlined it.

W2K/Oracle8.1.6/XE/SP14.1/Citrix

XE SP13.1, Oracle 8.1.6 on W2K,Citrix/W2K, NT 4.0

Mike,
You are right.
I also plan to make our custom and simplified OMC settings that suits much better to our needs.
I do not plan to get rid of original User Roles but want to preserve them, I plan to create:
* Custom User Roles
* Custom Status Codes
* Set up Allowed Actions for Custom Status Codes for Custom User Roles
* Set up Status Promotion tracks
* Set up Status and Transfer Activity Rules

When I finished, then making a hard test how does it work.
After successfull test I will change the Status Code for Default Project and the starting Status Code for new projects etc.

After all I will deactivate the original Status Codes and do not leave any gateway between the original and our custom configuration.

Regards,
Zoltán

<html><DIV>

yeah I agree</P>

so do you know how to override the OMW and use the old Object Transfer?

</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: MikeGibson <[email protected]>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: [email protected]
<DIV></DIV>>To: [email protected]
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Overrride Object Transfer in XE
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 06:15:39 -0800 (PST)
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>I thought the allowed actions and transfer rules where kind of overkill for a really small development effort. The nice thing is you can easily modify these to suit your needs. We got rid of most of the roles and streamlined it.
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>W2K/Oracle8.1.6/XE/SP14.1/Citrix
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>XE SP13.1, Oracle 8.1.6 on W2K,Citrix/W2K, NT 4.0
<DIV></DIV>>--------------------------
<DIV></DIV>>Visit the forum to view this thread at:
<DIV></DIV>>http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=7727
<DIV></DIV>>+ - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - +
<DIV></DIV>>This is the JDEList One World / XE Mailing List.
<DIV></DIV>>Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
<DIV></DIV>>UNSUBSCRIBE can be found at http://www.JDELIST.com
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
</p></html>

You're welcome!
I had the same growing pains (and allow me to state here that JDEdwards people tasted them, too) but this is just a regular technological life-cycle; the moment you get familiar with a way of doing things, these inventors/programmers change it, sometimes just for the pleasure of ... but allow me to cite our honourable Member Scott Parker: "Everyone knows programmers are just trying to mess with people’s heads."
If you really want to get familiar with OMW/OMC, I strongly suggest you try their training class; it healed A LOT of my growing pains, a few weeks/months ago. The real thing is I used OMC&W for, say, six months now, never more than 5% of my daily time, which is not too bad, is it?
But I'm sure we've seen worse, haven't we?

Adrian Chimirel
Programmer Analyst

<html><DIV>

I guess there is not an easy way to use the old Object Transfer app in XE, it was quite a straightforward question!

</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>>From: Adrian_Chimirel <[email protected]>
<DIV></DIV>>Reply-To: [email protected]
<DIV></DIV>>To: [email protected]
<DIV></DIV>>Subject: Re: Overrride Object Transfer in XE
<DIV></DIV>>Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 05:51:15 -0800 (PST)
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>You're welcome!
<DIV></DIV>>I had the same growing pains (and allow me to state here that JDEdwards people tasted them, too) but this is just a regular technological life-cycle; the moment you get familiar with a way of doing things, these inventors/programmers change it, sometimes just for the pleasure of ... but allow me to cite our honourable Member Scott Parker: "Everyone knows programmers are just trying to mess with people’s heads."
<DIV></DIV>>If you really want to get familiar with OMW/OMC, I strongly suggest you try their training class; it healed A LOT of my growing pains, a few weeks/months ago. The real thing is I used OMC&W for, say, six months now, never more than 5% of my daily time, which is not too bad, is it?
<DIV></DIV>>But I'm sure we've seen worse, haven't we?
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV>>Adrian Chimirel
<DIV></DIV>>Programmer Analyst
<DIV></DIV>>LIVE: B732.1 SP12.2, Oracle 806
<DIV></DIV>>SANDBOX: XE SP13, 8i
<DIV></DIV>>RS/6000, Citrix, 200+ clients
<DIV></DIV>>--------------------------
<DIV></DIV>>Visit the forum to view this thread at:
<DIV></DIV>>http://198.144.193.139/cgi-bin/wwwthreads/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=7907
<DIV></DIV>>This is the JDEList One World / XE Mailing List.
<DIV></DIV>>Archives and information on how to SUBSCRIBE, and
<DIV></DIV>>UNSUBSCRIBE can be found at http://www.JDELIST.com
<DIV></DIV>>
<DIV></DIV><br clear=all><hr>Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com
</p></html>

John,

I see you don't use the JDEList Forum; I guess this is why you couldn't notice my reply was addressed to Larry :)
AND
Using OTsfer in Xe, bypassing the OMW, (not an easy way, right) is a sure way to risk losing your objects, when the next Upgrade will take place :(
OR
This is the main reason OMW was implemented ;)
BUT
Of course, it is your (now) educated choice. I remember there was a thread dealing with it; you may find it in the JDEList's Archives.

Good luck (you'll need it)!

Adrian Chimirel
Programmer Analyst

John, Adrian

You are welcome!
Adrian is right, sometimes could be useful to check the other List(s)/Forum(s) on the web as I do also here because I am only on the Developer's List.

John, I have a feeling that you here and Tom (Tim) on the Developer's side knows each other because totally the same issue was (is) discussed on the other List/Forum.

Please, check the "Object Transfer in Xe" thread on the Developers Forum (I do not want to write everything twice, hopfully you understand me) where I offered to send personally the "how to modify OL and OT to use in XE" and added my contrary opinions why NOT DO it.

Please, let me know if you can not access the Forum on the web and send me an e-mail of you where I can send you the content of this thread to.

Zoltán

Back