i5 Sizing for E1

cdunn

I am working on sizing requirements for an i5 to run E1. Our operations group is putting together a proposal for a large i5 to host a variety of applications. We are coexistent running World A73 and OW XE on an 820 single CPU box. We will purchase new hardware but I need to make sure that the size will be adequate to run E1 8.xx when we upgrade in the next two years. Any suggestions on how I could properly size the E1 requirements? What should I look for besides concurrent user estimates and disk utilization / growth requirements?

Call you IBM business partner. IBM has a whole group of people that work on this sizing.

I'd echo Jean's comment, talk to you IBM business partner. We work pretty closely with them and they can get a formal sizing done and help with upgrade planning.

I work in the IBM Competency Center and have been doing a lot of work with sizing POWER5 boxes, so would be happy to provide help too....although I've passed on a lot of sizing info to the partners, so they are always a good place to start.

If you have trouble getting info or connecting with anyone, send me a note at [email protected]

I went through this excersize (don't do it, can't spell it) about a year ago. I was fortunate and got MPG Inc's Performance Navigator, which gave me stats AND allowed me to do a "what-if" with current performance and stress the model.

Currently, we have an i5 550 (6 LPARs - one running OW Xe). The OW partition has 7/10 of a processor with 12GB of memory, around 35 35GB drives (I got hung up of disk arms) with 350 users (200 comming in via the portal and the balance to a Citrix farm) and no issues. Of course I did some performance tuning steps, like, segregating my subsystems, adjusting the timeslice way down, turning off the antiquated QPRFADJ along with the priorityadjuster and scheduler (to mentiona a few) and the much ignored database tuning. Yep, DB2/400 gets tuned.

The old redbook on installing OneWorld on an AS400 is a wonderful place to start (chap 21). There have been some enhancements, especially if you're hosting WebSphere.

Have fun.

[ QUOTE ]
and the much ignored database tuning. Yep, DB2/400 gets tuned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am interested in what you have done to tune DB2. Can you share some of what you did?

Back