Interactive CPW?

Neilwar

Neilwar

Well Known Member
The company I am working at has a model 170 rates at 450/70 and has run out of disk space so want to upgrade teh AS400. They have found a model 800 rated at 950/50 and need to know if this would be OK - the interactive CPW is less but the BAtch CPW is a lot more. The memory on the 800 is double that of the 170.

The alternative is a model 810 rated at 1470/1470 which would obviously be better but is 3 times the price and the FD is asking how much of an effect the model 800 would have - would anyone actually notice the difference?

There are 28 JDE Users and a bespoke package rinning on the AS400 but that is all batch processing.

We asked JDE (Oracle) who told us to ask IBM who said the 800 only runs at 5/7th of the power of the 170 in interactive mode so we should get an 810.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Based on your description, I would say you should be fine with model 800. But why can’t you just buy more DASD on your current system?

**Perhaps you maxed out DASD for that model, I guess. ??

First, CPW for interactive equates to a specific CPU% that can be used by interactive jobs. Ask IBM what that % is. Then, your company is sending performance data to IBM nightly. You can see that data by signing onto a website or if you have the performance tools, go perform. Check your interactive utilization to make sure that you are not bumping up against the interactive value that equates to the new numbers they are giving you. Have your IBM rep figure all of this out for you, you may just have to send them some performance data that is still on your system.

Back