Linux with 8.10 or 8.11

JDEdwin

Hi,
Is there anyone who is using Linux as OS in combination with 8.10 or 8.11 or planning to do so?
We are currently in the process of planning the upgrade to 8.11 and want to know the options for possible OS change (from HP-UX to Linux). Currently we use Xe.
Peoplesoft (a.k.a. Oracle) cannot provide any reference. If some of you have more info on this matter, it would be much appreciated!
Thanks.

you may wish to send a message to ALTQUARK on this forum. He'd be able to give you impressions as well as probably know any "real" installations.

Gosh, complimenting Quark...the world is ending as I know it.
wink.gif

Regards,

Hi.

We are planning an XE to 8.11 upgrade, Intel and MSSQL to Linux and UDB. But we are in very early state. (nothing done yet, only get documentation and checking requirements).

clmates,
We are also in a very early stage. We've had an assessment (technical and functional), and we've been told that Linux / 8.11 doesn't work properly.
After talking to Altquark we will now setup our own test environment to find out if, how, when, etc.
Do you have any information about Linux sizing?
Thanks in advance!

Hi.

We are now with the problem of getting Red Hat ES 2.1, because peoplesoft only has this version certified, and Red Hat Only sell 3.1 and 4.0!!!

we are talking with Peoplesoft Spain to look for a solution.

At this moment we have purchased the following Hardware.

PDC and LDAP => IBM x336 2 CPU 3.0 GHz 2GB RAM 2 HD 146 GB U320 SCSI (Raid 1) Fiber Conection to a DS400 SAN
Instaled with SuSE Linux Enterprise Server 9
At this time working as:

Samba PDC
LDAP
DNS
DHCP
MTA

Deployment Server => IBM x336 2 CPU 3.0 GHz 1GB RAM 2 HD 146 GB U320 SCSI (Raid 1)
Installed With Windows 2000 Server
Client of the SAMBA Domain
We plan to install this as a Replacement Deployment of the Actual XE installation, and as the New Deployment for 8.11 (using snapshot)

Enterprise Server => IBM x346 2 CPU 3.2 GHz 2GB RAM 2 HD 146 GB U320 SCSI (Raid 1) Fiber Connection to a SAN
We plan to Install Red Hat ES 2.1 or whatever peoplesoft support. We will install on it:

EnterpriseOne Server
IBM UDB 2
Websphere

We plan to use the SAN (6 HD 146 GB U320 SCSI) to store databases.

actually our database is small (<20 GB in Production)

we plan to make the upgrade in a parallel installation and switch to this isntallation in the go live

then we redistribute Enterprise and Websphere Jobs between the actual production servers

I recoment to use LVM to avoid future resizing problems

Can you tellme the 8.11 problems with linux?

CLmates,
We've had Peoplesoft(/Oracle/SAP/whatever it is nowadays) come in and do an assessment and sizing, based on our current configuration and also a sizing for new OS, Linux.
In their final presentation they reported that 8.11 on Linux doesn't perform and therefore no sizing could be made.

Since this is completely unacceptable, and after speaking to different CNC experts (thanks Altquark!), we will setup a linux environment, with Oracle as DB (preferably Oracle RAC). Since AS 3.1 is used in our environment, we will most certainly setup a test environment with AS 3.1.
(otherwise would be the same like switching back to 98 when using XP...)
If you have any news from Spain, please keep me posted, since I am more than interested!
Thanks!

"We've had Peoplesoft(/Oracle/SAP/whatever it is nowadays) come in and do an assessment and sizing, based on our current configuration and also a sizing for new OS, Linux.
In their final presentation they reported that 8.11 on Linux doesn't perform and therefore no sizing could be made. "

Hmmm...JDPeoplcle doesn't perform sizing of any shape or form...are you sure you got sizing from them? Your hardware vendor should provide ALL sizing estimates for ANY E1 installation...as they are ultimately on the chopping block if you are undersized. JDPeoplecle ONLY provides MTR's, which of course are MINIMUM's just to get the E1 system running. If you got any sizing from JDPeoplcle, them employees are baaaad, very baaaaad!
wink.gif

Also, though I do admit not to have seen 8.11 running on Linux, I find the statement that "it doesn't" perform well to be quite strange...as the earlier releases I did see screamed. As with the above, if the people telling you this were JDPeoplcle, they are baaaaad, very baaaaad!
smile.gif

Regards,

Hi.

We have downloaded the ES2.1 form the Red Hat Network, and we proceed to install it this week.

We raise a call to Peoplesoft and they told us to use the 2.1 Version, and they will support 3.0 and 3.1 in 2005.

Red Hat is supporting 2.1 (they dont sell it anymore, you purchase 4.0 and then you can download 2.1 form the Red Hat Network.

We are planning now for 8.11 and IBM DB2, we got the technical foundation.

Is our first upgrade, what kind of upgrade is recommended?

A. Parallel installation in New Servers, then Migrate Data

B. Duplicate Production Path, Migrate, and then Reupdate data.

I dont think there will be performance issues. Linux is a Fast SO for BBDD and for Websphere. are Peoplesoft so bad programmers?

Back