IIS components needed for SP 23 JAS install.

OneWorld CNC

Will be setting up a JAS server soon, I am not clear on the IIS components that are required to isntall .
Will be running OneWorld Xe, Update 8, SQL 2000, Enterpriser server W2K. ON the JAS server I will be running Websphere 5.02 , and want to run IIS but I can't see to find out exactly what componets of IIS are required to install.

Can someone tell me exactly which IIS components are required ?

Thanks

[ QUOTE ]
Will be setting up a JAS server soon, I am not clear on the IIS components that are required to isntall

[/ QUOTE ] You need nothing. According to the instructions, the first step is to diable and/or remove IIS. Websphere comes with an IBM flavor of Apache. It is possible to use IIS instead, but that is not the manufacturer's preferred configuration.

Gregg,
I see that in the install manual but we would still like to go with IIS instead of HTTP. So for the IIS configuration which IIS components do I need to install ?

Thanks for all your help.

gregglarkin <[email protected]> wrote:
Quote:

Nothing wrong with IIS.

Depending on your OS you should have all IIS services already installed. IIS includes SMTP, Telnet, FTP, NNTP. You can (and should) disable all but the WWW publishing service.

[ QUOTE ]
Gregg,<br>I see that in the install manual but we would still like to go with IIS instead of HTTP. So for the IIS configuration which IIS components do I need to install ?<br> <br>Thanks for all your help.<br><br>gregglarkin <[email protected]> wrote:<br>Quote:<br>

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with IIS.

Depending on your OS you should have all IIS services already installed. IIS includes SMTP, Telnet, FTP, NNTP. You can (and should) disable all but the WWW publishing service.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOK - I would echo that last part - the only component that you would need is WWW. Leaving the other stuff active is just asking for a security hole. I set my three web servers up with IBM HTTP server because that is how I was trained by JDE to do the installation. Knowing how much love Oracle has for IBM, I have to wonder what they are advising customers to do now.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

You bring up a good point about Oracle's relationship with IBM. For now everyone is pretending to play nicely and saying all the right things but I think Oracle sees IBM as a direct competitor.

I prefer Apache and have used it in most places but some places have a MS-only policy that requires the use of IIS. If I recall, JDE's move away from IIS (to the point to de-supporting) was driven (publicy at least) by the security questions around IIS. Something changed and IIS came back onto the MTR's as a supported web server.

FWIW, IIS webserver is basically a visual front end for the webserver concepts, all deriving from the original NCSA webserver specs. The concepts are the same with IIS and Apache, only the stability is different, and only then with large loads.

I guess I see the webserver as a commodity piece of software. Sites likes www.ebay.com run IIS. I run Apache on Linux at home on my family website. I don't think it really matters from a technical perspective. I think what really matters is the point you raised about Oracle's continued support for IBM HTTP Server.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Nothing wrong with IIS.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOK - I would echo that last part - the only component that you would need is WWW. Leaving the other stuff active is just asking for a security hole. I set my three web servers up with IBM HTTP server because that is how I was trained by JDE to do the installation. Knowing how much love Oracle has for IBM, I have to wonder what they are advising customers to do now.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
If I recall, JDE's move away from IIS (to the point to de-supporting) was driven (publicy at least) by the security questions around IIS. Something changed and IIS came back onto the MTR's as a supported web server.

[/ QUOTE ]

BOK - I took my web install classes from JDE in Denver. I took both the basic and the advanced classes and was in the first class of each. The instructors for those classes were the techies that were writing the specs. My impression was that they dropped IIS because they had just signed that mega deal with IBM and were all enamored with Big Blue. Two acquisitions later, I don't know what the score is.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Back