What is JDBNET?

SULLY1

VIP Member
What is JDBNET?

The E810 Application Special Instructions, Technical Instructions section says you have to create a new database data source for JDBNET. Does this step need to be done? The JDBNET setting in my jde.ini file on the enterprise server is set to no. If it's set to yes, what all do I need to do to make it work? Has anyone else used this?

The information I got from Oracle was:

JDBNET processes database requests using a client and server. It can also be configured to process server-to-server requests-one server functions as a JDBNET client and the other as a JDBNET server.

JDBNET eliminates the need for database-specific network software. All database requests are transported to the JDBNET server, processed in a local database, and the results are transported back to the JDBNET client.

Are there any instructions on setting this up?

Patty

Re: What is JDBNET?

JDBNET is used if your database resides somewhere other than your enterprise server. For instance, let us say that your enterprise server is an AS400, but you have business data on an Oracle database. The AS400 would use the JDBNET setup to access the Oracle database.

If all of your server accessible data is on the server, then you will not need to use JDBNET.

Chris

Thanks for that very clear answer. I read the minimal blurbs in the manuals and didn't come away with any better understaning. We don't have a separate database server so I'm am not using JDBNET.

Patty

you don't need this patty

however, if you're interested, I have published a ton of info on how jdbnet works - including a long dissertion on the benefits of the architecture (not necessarily the delivery) of jdbnet on one of my articles for The iConsortiums newsletter.

Msg me if you want a copy of it.

In summary, JDBNet is very, very cool because it allows for servers that do not have native access to each other to link to one another at the application layer using OneWorld - in effect, removing the necessity for ODBC/OLEDB/OCI or whatever middleware you might need currently. The problem was that JDE had issues getting JDBNet working correctly in the past, and instead of concentrating on refining the product, they decided to, in effect, drop development. It is still available in 8.11 - and I believe they had a resurgency of development under the latest service pack, but I haven't had a chance yet to really explore what it can do in the latest version.

oof - I got slammed with requests on JDBNet...!

ok - here are the links to the document. You can either get it from my website (at the bottom of the page) - its called "The State of OneWorld Issue 2" - or do a search for "jdbnet" on the website as a registered user.

Alternatively, you can obtain the original document from The iConsortium at www.theiconsortium.com - under "newsletters/SCOPE" - I believe that past issues will be available on there.

Hope that helps...!

Jon

Great article. Sorry for opening up that can of worms. LOL.

Patty

Back