Securing Telnet

SULLY1

VIP Member
In order to better secure our Enterprise Server we would like to replace Telnet with SSH (secure script). The response I got from Oracle was:

We do not make any support statements for either Telnet or SSH - this is up to your system administrator to decide whats best for you to use at your company. All we require is that you meet the Minimum Technical Requirements which are posted on customer connection.

The link they gave me took me to a page about tools releases. I looked at the MTR for Enterprise Server and found noting about Telnet and SSH.

Has anyone gone to SSH? If so, what are the MTR's. Do any of the OneWorld startup scripts need to be changed? Thanks in advance for your help.

Patty

Sully,

SSh is just another telnet method, it has nothing to do with Enterprise One. and mainly applies if you are on unix. With Solaris 2.9 I believe that SSH is the recommended way to connect because it uses a different, secured port.

This SSH tool I used is SSHSecureShellClient-3.2.9.exe and is attached, but you will have to get your Sys admin to make sure that SSH is enabled on the server and you have the correct port.

Cleo

Thanks for your response. When I click on the link I get page not found. Is it just me?

Patty

before you use that client !!!!!!! stop !!!!

The best and most fantastic SSH And Telnet combined client that I use is "putty" - its available at http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/ - and is the defacto standard for windows based SSH clients. Believe me, you'll use this WAY above any other cruddy client.

Its a good idea to totally eliminate Telnet off any box - its way too open, and its so easy to sniff off the network the unencrypted passwords. SSH is the right direction to go on any box.

Another tool you'll love is WinSCP - SSH provides a file transfer layer so you can also disable FTP - the command line is "scp" - but WinSCP provides a really nice gui interface. It uses the same encryption algorithms as Putty and works on SSH's port. Download a copy from http://www.winscp.net

Hey - lastly, both of these have been recommended tools on my website for years ! Pays to hunt around on my website, eh !

Back