Web Client Performance

vchai

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has any good experiences with the web client when compared to the FAT client in regards to performance. JDE/PeopleSoft/Oracle claims that the performance should be the same. In timing some of our activities, I've found that the Web client is anywhere from 2 to 5 times slower than the FAT client.

Our server is a single PIII-866MHz server with 1 Gig of RAM. Our client computers has 256Meg RAM with 2.x GHz processor. We are running ERP8 SP23-F1 (Update1) on a LAN.

*I think I need to change my signature. =)

Thanks,
Vincent

Have you tuned your WEB server yet? Or is it using the basic settings from the initial install?

Our experience has been that it is a lot better after tuning. Not sure if you could say that it is as fast as a FAT client, but not bad at all.

Your clients are bigger than the server. I'd say it's time for a hardware upgrade.

Personally, depending on number of users, I would bump up the WEB server to a 2 x 2+GHZ with 3 or 4GB of RAM. The RAM will also be needed if you are running multiple environments on the web box. From my experience the bigger the better but it will still be short of the fat client performance.

Where can I find some tuning instructions for the webserver on an X-series IBM server?

Thanks for the reply. We only have a few users on our Web Server. We have a maximum of 16 connections on there, but usually 4 or so active within the last 10 minutes. I thought that our hardware would be more than enough to support that. We do have non-production environments on that box, but no one goes into them. In actual fact, I believe that port is turned off.

[ QUOTE ]
Personally, depending on number of users, I would bump up the WEB server to a 2 x 2+GHZ with 3 or 4GB of RAM. The RAM will also be needed if you are running multiple environments on the web box. From my experience the bigger the better but it will still be short of the fat client performance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even on a fat client the CPU speed can make big performance improvements. I would still look at a two-way box.

Your webserver barely meets the *minimum* technical requirements for a E1 web server. Time to upgrade the hardware.

I want to thank everyone for helping me with this. I think the general consensus is that I need better hardware. =)

I was wondering... what would you recommend as the requirements for a web server? Again, we're using ERP 8.0 for about 30 users initially. Obviously, we can't rely on the MTR for the specs. =)

I need the performance of the web to be as close to the FAT client as possible (within economic reason). What do everyone else use as a web server and how many users does your web server support?

Thanks to everyone for their input. I really do appreciate the help.

We have about 30 users right now on the web.

Dual P3 1.4Ghz
1.2 GB RAM
40GB Hard drive.

Getting really good response. <=1 sec typically

There is a Red Paper on the Customer Connection titled "Performance Tuning EnterpriseOne and Websphere 5.0.2". I found this document very useful. We initially had performance issues on the web client with more than 2 or 3 users logged on. I found that upgrading my Web server from a single processor machine with 2GB of ram to a dual processor box with 6GB helped, but response times still seemed a bit sluggish. Once we added a WinTel logic server to the mix (single processor Blade server with 2GB of Ram) and installed the latest Tools 8.93 oneoff (R1), performance was great. Turns out our AS400 (1000 cpw and 2GB of Ram) just wasn't beefy enough to handle the additional load the web clients placed on it.

Architecting a web system is much more than building a webserver big enough to handle the load. You have to separate production from other environments, load balance, failover, properly size the BSFN server, size the egen machine, name-based virtual hosting, login behavior, properly document root, etc.

You should really get some help to do this right.

Back