Fresh from Oracle

Alex_Pastuhov

Alex_Pastuhov

Legendary Poster
I've just been to a local Quest meeting, also attended by a senior Oracle representative and (although not always in clear text), the message was very positive for JDE users and JDE software:

Basically, we were told that:
- Oracle continues selling JDE, i.e.: if a prospect wouldn't pay for anything other than JDE, they will be happy to sell it to them;
- If a prospect would not pay for JDE on Oracle DB, they will be happy to sell it with any other DB JDE currently supports (which may be a hard sell, i.e. they could offer a better price on JDE with Oracle DB).

Clearly, if their choice is a binary "sell JDE' or "don't sell", there's no choice, really, and JDE may well live well beyond the minumum promised 2013.

Oracle also knows a lot about customer loyalty: a) they have plenty of loyal customers themselves, plus b) they could never break IBM customer's loyalty. So, they well understand the implications of having many loyal JDE customers, who would oppose any dramatic changes...

Alex,

what did they say regarding the DB2 base of JDE? There's still alot
(albeit dwindling) users of DB2/400 on AS/400's (or whatever it's been
renamed to this week).

Did they make any commitments to the DB2 install base?

Don in DC metro

Yes, they said these will be supported and, although Oracle is bound try to sell Oracle DB to such customers, we were told Oracle will not force customers to change the DB.

And, as I said before, if a prospect wishes to purchase JDE to run it on AS/400, Oracle will sell it, albeit possibly dearer than it would cost them with Oracle DB...

Back