Changing UDC code length, how to do it ?

Hi List, I want to amend some UDC code lengths, I know I can amend the length in P0004A, but it errors when I try to enter a new longer code or indeed a code of the original length. Is there a batch job I need to run if I've amended this? Thanks in advance

This string are saved into a 10 spaces string.
Something very quick instead of udpating F0005/F0005D is to export to excel, delete them, change the size and them import it again.

if you want to do using SQL, you will not be able to UPDATE, because it is primary key of F0005/F005D.

For a string of 2 chars is saved as
DRKY
==========
bbbbbbbbYV

b=blanks
YV = The UDC value

If you want to change to 4 for example, you will require to put 10-(size) blank spaces into the left

For the numeric of 3 chars is saved as
DRKY
==========
bbbbbbb001

b=blanks
00=zero left pad size of udc-size of number

This you will need to insert the new lines and delete the old.
The problems is with the attachments...

Just as remark, do not change the size of standart UDC... if they are string you will have sh..

HI Carlos,
Tried what you suggested but placing spaces before or after does not seem to work. The code I'm trying to amend is 41/S2, it was a 3 Alphanumeric, I wish to change it to 4. In the UDC P0005s I don't have a problem with, but when in Item master cat' codes P4101, it errors believing it still to be a 3 character code.
Therefore I believe that either there are some other related codes that need to be amended also and/or some batch job that performs some kind of code update.
confused.gif

Any other thoughts before I submit myself to the torture that is, GSS.

Cheers.

Cough!
you want to change S2?! This is linked to the Item Master, Branch Plant, Sales Detail, Warehouse Detail etc etc files I would give serious thought as to whether you REALLY want to do this - it MAY have serious consequences!

If you need a longer code - why not "taylor" URRF or similar ?

Warm regards

Peter

Hi Peter,
You must sort out that cough, he he he.
I'm testing this out in PY at present (thank God !)in our old Xe version, so no real damage done yet. We are moving over to 8.11 with a completely new company / business, so in theory well have spec'd the desired codes lengths before we start transacting etc. The business will be relying heavily on item cat codes due to the large number of attributes for an item and we are trying to keep clear of 'Configurator', But considering we could find a need to remodel the business in the future and therefore change code lengths (rarely) it would be very usefull to find a solution / document the sequence of events to perform such a task. Please forgive my ignorance Pete, but whats URRF ??

Hi Andrew,
I have taken a look at the B9 Db and can see that SRP2 (where 41/S2 is used as a prompt/validation table) and it looks like its still 3 long to me !
Hence if you change the UDC table length this will have a pretty detremental effect on your implementation.

If you need some info on the Configurator - send me a direct mail and I'll give you access to a paper I wrote.

URRF is the User Reserved Reference and forms part of a group of fields which are available for "user" use - take a look at the F4101 for an example, but they tend to be on most files.

In terms of a "user" UDC (e.g. 55/LP) then deleting all values out, changing table length and reentering should work fine....

I'd take a look at the supplemental Db if you need LOTS of codes - but I did some work for a "complementary" supplier (sofa's) and we didnt need it.

Oh say hi to Gary if he's still there!

Warm regards

Peter

Topo,
Peter is right, <font color="red"> NEVER change and standart UDC size </font> .
Usualy UDC are linked to DD, and then you will need to change the size of the DD.
If you change the size of the DD wou will need to rebuilt the tables where this DD is in.
If you change the size of the table you will need to change all .h files that make reference to the data dictionary into the data structure. You dont imagine the trouble.....
Is you need a higher size code (user some compession logic) to create you codes, use !#$%^&*()+=_ even they are strange codes and put you 10 digits on description 2.
Which is you requirement, why do you need a bigger code, maybe is other way to solve this issue.

Back