Multiple 'JDE' accounts

mac1

Multiple \'JDE\' accounts

Hi,
I have searched and haven't been able to find any info regarding this so thanks in advance for any help.
I need to know if there would be any problems with using multiple JDE accounts (JDE1, JDE2, etc) assigned to different business units (AP, AR) to track which department would be running batch jobs on the AS400. As the AS400 objects (created by end-users) would be created under different accounts would this cause any problems with future upgrades (We're currently on OneWord XE)?
Thanks

Re: Multiple \'JDE\' accounts

We have one AS400 account per JDE user. As far as I'm concerned it's a small administrative overhead for absolutely invaluable extra manageability and traceablity.

Not sure why the users would ever be creating 'objects' - what are you referring to here?

Mac,

We are not an AS400 shop, so the following response is not exactly what you will be looking for, but here is my 2 cents worth. We have one JDE master user with very tight password control. We have regional JDE users, JDEusa, JDEcanada, etc. as the proxy user for accessing the database. We use a third party scheduling softwre, Tidal, for running scheduled jobs. We created ten applead service accounts for running scheduled jobs. Each account is for a seperate functional area, sales, POs, etc. Only the CNCs know the passwords for the service accounts.

Tidal is very cool software. We use it as a replacement to the internal scheduler. It is much more sophisticated in scheduling jobs, setting depencies, sending us email messages when jobs blow up etc. It also runs jobs from our mainframe and webmethods servers. It was not cheap, but we are getting our money out of it.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Thanks for the responses. It seems that multiple accounts shouldn't be a problem.

I do have one other question that I searched for and wasn't able to find an solid answer regarding these accounts. For the 'JDE' proxy accounts what user class / special authorities are required? I would like to limit these as much as possible (ie 'USER' user class and no special authorities) however I've read some responses that say these accounts require *ALLOBJ authority and even the SECOFR user class. Is there any firm guide as to what these user profiles REQUIRE to function correctly?

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Greg,

On the subject of 3rd Party control apps I'd put in a recommendation for Slik (www.slik.co.nz). It can run UBE's and deliver the PDF by email etc, run SQL's, perform complex data mapping (e.g. for EDI and other data interfaces). Lots and lots of other functionality for looping, iteration etc. This is used at a few of my clients and I cannot see how they could get by without it.

Regards
JohnO

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Greg,

On the subject of 3rd Party control apps I'd put in a recommendation for Slik (www.slik.co.nz). It can run UBE's and deliver the PDF by email etc, run SQL's, perform complex data mapping (e.g. for EDI and other data interfaces).

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey John,

That sounds like cool software. I'm sure that there are a number of solutions out there. We are using Tidal to do the following:

Run JDE jobs.
Run Webmethods (XPI) jobs
Run Mainframe jobs
Run System cleanup (directory purges) jobs

We have set up elaborate streams of jobs from multiple systems with error checking and dependency checking. The streams can be run manually, daily, weekly, monthly, or whatever else you can dream up. We just finished a multi-year, multi-million dollar Order to Cash project. The tidal software was a major component in the project. On a nightly basis we import orders from the mainframe over to jde via webmethods. The sales orders generate custom invoices (via createprint), are archived (via create archive), the data is sent to cognos for reporting, cubes are created, invoices are faxed and emailed to customers (via rightfax) and the whole complex process is orchastrated by Tidal. Pretty darn amazing!

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Back