Oracle DB upgrade from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.5 for B7333 Xe

CNCONE

Hello All:

We are upgrading our DB from Oracle 8.1.7 to 9.2 in a week. I could not get a whole lot of infiormation from Peoplesoft/Oracle regarding the subject. Did anyone did similar upgrade and if so are there any details that we should be aware of.

I would greatly appreciate any information on the topic.

Thank you,
NRB (CNCONE)
Release:B7333 Xe, SP 22, Update 7
Ent: SUN Solaris
DB: Oracle 8i on Sun
Depl: CITRIX

We upgraded from 8.1.7 to 9.2 on ERP8 last fall. We couldn't get any 9i recommendations from support either. Since then we've come across a PeopleSoft red paper titled Oracle 9.2 with EnterpriseOne 8.9. It goes over a number of init.ora parameters. You can search PeopleSoft's website for it.

Here are some things that we had to do when we went to 9i:
- In enterprise server jde.ini change Load Library from libora81.sl to libora90.sl
- Need to use $ORAcLE_HOME/lib32 in LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
- Change OW database data sources to use new DLL names of JDBOCI90.DLL and libora90.sl.

I hope this helps.

Maria

We did this upgrade at the back of last year and it went pretty easily. We were also changing the hardware out so I used EXP and IMP to move the data and did a fresh install of Oracle and patches.
Our database is on a separate server to any JDE logic which simplifies things. Our experience was that fat clients are tolerant to using the 8i client with a 9i db but that the web servers really aren't and need moving at once. We rounded up the fats by the time of the next package. You need to make sure that the client jde.ini deployed with packages gets edited on the deployment server to reflect the change in dll.

For us the only slow piece was the exp. We needed about half a day of downtime which we were able to accommodate over a holiday weekend.

Hi Richards:

It is comforting that there are no complications. We will have to have all the clients (dev machines and Citrix machines) installed with 9i client on them for the supportability reasons.

Thank you very much,
NRB

Maria

Our LD_LIBRARY_PATH contains $ORACLE_HOME/lib and NOT $ORACLE_HOME/lib32.
Where did you get the information from for inserting lib32 in the library
path ?

Thanks
Shane

We also upgraded from 8.1.7 to 9.2.0.4 - 64 bit without any significant issues in Xe, prior to upgrading to 8.9.

Has anyone upgrade from Oracle 8 to Oracle 9i at the same time as a SP upgrade?

Back