WebSphere and JAS performance on iSeries

ztoreki

Hi list,

Anyone has experience with WebSphere and JAS on iSeries?
As I learned that WebSphere can highly increase the packets on the network, so I can increase the send and receive buffer size on TCP attributes...

By the way could anyone help me with this doc: OTI-01-0065?
I cannot find it at PeopleSoft KG...
([email protected])

Kind regards,
Zoltan

You'll see some of my other posts on WAS & JAS performance in the archive's here. There are a number of other contributors with tips and such besides mine as well.
Overall, which version of JAS, and which version of WAS. 4.x WAS or 5.x WAS? Intel WAS, or iSeries WAS?
All in one AIO, (which means WAS on the ENT server). You also have horizontal & vertical clones to consider. I'll put my post from a few weeks ago below.
That just covers WAS. There are HTTP Server issues to consider, HTML Compression options, Db Tuning, and of course, how well your programs perform when serialized (gen'd) for HTML execution. As I note below, this is a multi-tier, multi archtecture effort that covers a number of areas.

The biggest tip I can give you if you run iSeries AIO is to get the Native AS/400 JDBC driver going (a single line in the JAS.INI)

As for your DOC, Whats the title. I usually rename them. I may have it? Look at the doc I did post instead. this is a good doc too.

If you have a gerneal area of interest, post back. I'll try to help ya out.
Thanks,
JJ

---------------------------------ARCHIVE ITEM-------------
This is a very dark hole indeed... Do you have some specific areas you think are lacking? It's been about 18months on our HTML SP23 WAS 5.02 implementation. Let me tell you, I've been up and down some steep hills over this. I've seen a few docs and manuals over the years since SP21 HTML but there is no single guilde to making it all play nice and most of all FAST.

After a year of WAS 5.0.2 on Intel, we went back to a new i5 570 in an All In One (AIO) config. Only then did we see the performance we want. This was all done via the IBM Rochester benchmarking Labs.

Also, we found that since the custom programs our MIS grop did used all NER programming. The execution times when run on the HTML platform were just plain S-L-O-W. We thought about doing re-writes in C++ on the code itself, but in the end the new i5 flew and ran our HTML server the way we finally wanted.

Part of the issue for i5 is the performance increase on the Call Object times. Using he HTML SAW tool, you'll be able to run your programs in HTML and observe the CALL OBJECT times. Look at the Avg. Min. Max times. In here you'll soon see where your performance issue are from a program exeecution standpoint. (at least we did). When we went from Intel to i5 and used WAS w/ the Native i5 JDBC driver we got something like 2.3 times faster Call Object execution times on our bloated, customized NER based apps.

As for Intel WAS servers, I did everything from WAS 4 to WAS 5, serilzed objects here & there, to clones both vert & horiz, blablabla. IT just did NOT run anywhere close to the new i5 box (iSeries) I know that this is not an option for you probably.

Of course this i5 purchase was also after all the DB tuning and tweeking. So much is involved in the areas of E810 and HTML on the architecture that the guides were just not enough.
Don't let this discourage you. There are some high quality tips in the JAS install guides and Network Deployment guide
from PSFT.
You may need to look at this as a bunch of different problems. We did.
Anyway, some some of my comments. A BIG TIP for you will be to search this list. There are some real good HTML suggestions in here. There are also some minds much better than mine on this list group that comment on HTML issues.

Good Luck
JJ

Attachments

• 87460-iSeries V5R2 WebClient Tuning Tips for SP20 & SP21.doc
    310 KB · Views: 2,143
Hi,

With regards to....
"The biggest tip I can give you if you run iSeries AIO is to get the Native AS/400 JDBC driver going (a single line in the JAS.INI)"
Can you be specific? What should the JAS.INI line look like that implements the Native driver?

Thanks in Advance!
Jay

Jay,

Your JAS.INI should have this extra entry in this section

[DB SYSTEM SETTINGS]
AS400NativeJDBCDriver=TRUE

This is mentioned in the document that JJ uploaded. Have a look at it. Its pretty good

I've the same problem...

I went to look into my JAS.INI and the mentionned ection is not even there... Should I add it?

Claude Leduc
PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne 8.10 / Release tools 8.93.R1
AS400 V5R2 WAS 5.0.2 on iSeries
MultiFundation 8.10 / Release tools 8.94.G1

Back