Arguement for using Citrix instead of WTS (RDP 5)

Soul Glo

Soul Glo

VIP Member
Our IT Dept wants us to move from using citrix to using RDP 5/WTS instead. Now I know that RDP has come a long way since NT days. Is there anyone that has successfully used WTS for JDE distribution and what are some of the downfall or some of the pros besides the cost savings.

How is the administration, can you administer it the same or close to how the Citrix CMC is used to monotor the Citrix Servers.

We use it and it's fine. It has most of the same
useful confunctionality that Citrix does like
shadowing. The only major disadvantage is that you
can't do server farming for load balancing purposes.

What version are you running? is it on windows 2003 or 2000? because our IT teamis saying that it can do load balancing and farming.

The biggest seperation between Citrix and RDP is published applications - ie, seamless to the user.

If you want to publish desktops with apps in them, then RDP works absolutely fine these days.

IP load balancing can be done at the network level to provide load balancing - but its a LOT easier to manage using citrix

Pretty much, citrix is easier to manage, and provides better control over publishing applications. Terminal Services is certainly technically as good (RDP vs ICA) - and the protocol is just as fast - but ask anyone, and they'd prefer citrix as well.

However, I do indeed have some customers that are running perfectly fine with just terminal services.

There is a lesser-known Windows Terminal Services companion from Tarantella Corp - Secure Global Desktop Terminal Services Edition - which lists around $60 per user and adds published apps / seamless windows.

Certainly agree that Citrix is currently preferred based upon user base, etc. but it can be costly.

http://www.tarantella.com/products/tse/index.html

--------------------
OW Xe SP 22
Intel/Win 2003/SQL 2000
WTS/MetaFrameXP

I had a user once that implemented tarantella.

They use citrix now

stay WELL clear of that inferior product. You get what you pay for....

Back