promoting roles in Xe

andy_smith

Well Known Member
Hi List,

Has anyone any details on how to promote a role and the attendant task fine cut for that role in Xe ?

Note - in Xe the role is really only a UDC value which is simple to get promoted as are any new tasks but it is the fine cut erlationship between the role and the tasks that are visible in the role that I am hoping there is a way of promoting.

Thanks

Are you using the P9864A application (Solution Explorer Record Copy) to pass menus and tasks from one environment to the next? If you use this application, are you finding that it is not copying the menus as you have "pruned" them?

[ QUOTE ]
Hi List,

Has anyone any details on how to promote a role and the attendant task fine cut for that role in Xe ?

Note - in Xe the role is really only a UDC value which is simple to get promoted as are any new tasks but it is the fine cut erlationship between the role and the tasks that are visible in the role that I am hoping there is a way of promoting.

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Andy,

here are a few tips - you need to create the role in the role UDC table. That table needs to be promoted, or copied, to your other environments. we add the new role to the role UDC table in Prod and then have a DBA do a copy and replace of the UDC table in the other environments.

Copying the menus and the finecuts are a different issue. My strategy is this. I make the menu change in Dev. I make the Fine cut changes in Dev. I then use the Record Copy utility (P9864A). In the SAR Number field I enter a number, the number is meaningless but required. I put in my "From" Data Source and my "To" Data Source. I choose the "All Levels" radio button and the "Clear to Data Source" check box. The net effect is that all menus and all finecuts are promoted. I then repeat the process for the other pathcodes. The downside of this technique is that the "Favorites" task view gets wiped out. We did not roll out "Favorites" because of that.

Now a question for you and the List, I have developed a significant amount of experience in figuring out how to convert from the menu system of OneWorld to the ActiveEra system of Solution Explorer. Along the way I have also learned quite a few tips and techniques for managing Solution Explorer. Do you think that that would be an intersting topic for a Quest presentation? I am debating whether or not to submit a brief for the upcoming Quest conference.

Gregg Larkin
JDE System Administrator (CNC) / North America
Praxair, Inc.

Gregg

By all mean put on a Quest presentation! The issue of going from menus (all custom) to solution explorer is the biggest challenge of my upgrade. The documentation on this is weak. I'll be in the front row. See you in Dallas.

Patty

Gregg,

I think a presentation on tips and techniques for Solution Explorer would be a terrific idea. Frankly, the dearth of documentation makes understanding and using many of the features of Solution Explorer a difficult task, at best. We've been using Solution Explorer since 2001, but I don't think we're using even close to all of the capabilities of it.

If anyone would be interested in giving a presentation on LPAR configuration for Oneworld, I would also be interested in that. And while I'm wishing, if anybody has any spare winning lottery tickets, I'd be especially interested in those...

Bill,

I don't have any spare winning lottery tickets lying around. But Patty (Sully1) and I have some swamp land in Florida to sell ya! Only used by a few drug trafficers and some rednecks.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

That would be a VERY good presentation at Quest, as everyone is (was, now on hold) getting ready to upgrade from Xe to the next generation where Solutions Explorer is required. And the question has come up on this list multiple times.

Get your presentation into Quest before March 11th and have a change to win an iPod! (as well as a free conference fee when the presentation is accepted)

We personally don't click the Clear To data source, as the only reason I've gotten our users to switch to the Solutions Explorer is for the Favorites. Otherwise I use your same method.

Thanks for the encouragement Jean, Patty and Bill. This is what I have submitted:

Track: Technical

Presentation Title: Converting OW Explorer Menus to Solution Explorer, Tips and Techniques

Converting from the OneWorld Explorer menu system over to the Solution Explorer system is a major challenge for many businesses in their upgrade to 8.9 and beyond. This one hour presentation will focus on the steps to plan and execute that conversion. The topics covered will include:

• Project Plan Outline
• Preparing your groups and menus in OW Explorer
• Running the Conversion UBE
• Cleaning up the menus
• Organizing the menus
• How to use Finecut to create a role-based Taskview
• How to create menus natively in Solution Explorer
• Designing Solution Explorer menus for multiple roles, reducing redundancy
• Menu & Role-based Taskview promotion
• Co-Existence – How to manage a “rolling conversion” from OW Explorer to Solution Explorer
• Lessons learned along the way

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

[ QUOTE ]
We personally don't click the Clear To data source, as the only reason I've gotten our users to switch to the Solutions Explorer is for the Favorites. Otherwise I use your same method.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have struggled with that issue and have not come up with a good solution. On the one hand, Favorites is a cool feature. On the other hand, I need to create my menus and role-based taskviews down in Dev and then promote them upwards in order to follow my SOX and company standards. I haven't found a win-win solution yet. For small quick changes (like a typo or an incorrect version), I will make the change directly to production then demote the menu down to Dev and PY. Does anyone have a better answer?

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

That's exactly the way that I use it (in the early days, the big problem was keeping all 3 environments in synch). I just have a little log that I maintain for the environments, then check off each environment that I apply the change to.

[ QUOTE ]
That's exactly the way that I use it (in the early days, the big problem was keeping all 3 environments in synch). I just have a little log that I maintain for the environments, then check off each environment that I apply the change to.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wouldn't work very well here. We have eighteen environments. Seven variations of just PY. In the PY environments, we have seperate business data for each country. We also create seperate environments for each major project. And yes to your next question, we have monster database servers for hosting all of that data. Our database cluster servers have over a terabyte of disk space in order to host JDE and Cognos.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Gregg,
This will be an awesome presentation. I now have a genuine reason for going to Quest. I heard that the Quest conferences have not been that great since Peoplesoft bought JDE, now with the Oracle deal hoepfully they will liven back up.
We will be going down the upgrade path soon so I will be working on converting over to Solution Explorer soon too.
Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
Gregg,
This will be an awesome presentation. I now have a genuine reason for going to Quest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's see if it gets accepted as a topic before you make your travel plans..... :) If it does, I'll let the list know, ok? Hey, Bill, how about that swamp land offer? Patty can have some of the Sherriffs go out and shoot the gators for ya. If you're not interested in swamp land, I can sell you some geniune Buffalo snow. We've got lots of it to go around......

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

[ QUOTE ]
Gregg,

I think a presentation on tips and techniques for Solution Explorer would be a terrific idea. Frankly, the dearth of documentation makes understanding and using many of the features of Solution Explorer a difficult task, at best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill and Patty,

Just to let you know, in response to this previous post, I will be presenting at Quest on how to convert menus from OneWorld Explorer to Solution Explorer. It is topic: "EO10590: Converting OW Explorer Menus to Solution Explorer" on the Quest website. Also, Quest and JDEtips Journal are publishing an article I wrote on this topic. The article will be in the May 2005 editions of those two magazines.

Gregg Larkin
Praxair, Inc.

Back