Tip: Use SETOBJACC to load iSeries items into memory

jjarnot

jjarnot

We are in the process of tuning our 570 for SP23 HTML w/ WAS 5.0.2.6 We have used this cool little tip to speed up certain areas of HTM performance. Just thought I'd send it along. I did a search and it's not in the archive here?
Notes listed below are what I wrote when we did the POC proff of concept. We did see a boost on performance.
NOTES
SETOBJACC on select indexes rather than then file itself! Let the index fly in memory then just 'get' the data from the file.

Executed - SETOBJACC OBJ(COCP7333/F989999) OBJTYPE(*FILE) POOL(*SHRPOOL1)
SETOBJACC OBJ(COCP7333/F989998) OBJTYPE(*FILE) POOL(*SHRPOOL1)

Interesting. I was talking to our CNC a few months ago about this. They were of the opinion that it was just going to steal memory from the 400 and put it into something that wouldn't be used all of the time. But I was thinking about pinning the entire data table into memory, not just an index. I'll have to go back to them and see what they think about pinning just an index or two. Do you have a list of tables that you shoved into memory that you could post for reference?

For us just in POC (proof of concept) we pinned the the F989999 F989998, and a the few index's. Not much memory taken there. I think we tried a few of the OE indexes too. It does help. Like you noted, you just need the memory. We have a custom OE app with lots O' index/table hits. for us it works. Besides I run the system so I get to do the overall descision.
PS- Here is how I sold it. CL or Schedule the command to implement in the Day, and remove at night for batch processes. Or shedule as needed to manipulate the storage pools or allow autotune to do it? (another can of worms)

I can see the 400 people jumping up and down. I would too on a busy box. Anyway, I am blessed w/ a new 570 w/ 11Gb of memory. 90% of our user base is HTML, thus it's worth the memory steal.

Back