New security in SP23

tberry6433

Hi List.

We are in the process of bringing an XE installation up to ERP8 SP23 in a test environment. Can anyone give me some pointers on implementing the version security introduced in SP23? My CNC and I have both researched the topic every way we can think of without success on the Customer Connection. The only reference we can find is in the SP23 release notes. The notes discuss broad functionality but do not provide direction on usage.

There was a screen print in the notes which provided my only clue. It showed the application P01012 with application security set to N/N, followed by a line specifying P01012 with a specific version set to Y/Y. I tried several variations of the example using a UBE and an application but nothing seemed to work as expected. I am not sure yet if maybe another ESU is required or if I am simply trying to use the security incorrectly.

Can someone tell me how version security is applied? Can you use partial names, as in TEST*, to grant or withhold access to any version starting with TEST? Can I specify TEST*, or even a complete version name like DL0000001, for *ALL applications or do I need a record for each individual application? Should the security hide versions where access is denied or only give a security error if access is denied?

I am in an all doors closed environment. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I have also been unable to find more information about this new feature. I have contacted Oracle and will update you when I get an answer.

Look for the document "SP23_Tools_Guide.pdf". It's a short rewrite of the security section from the System Admin Manual. It's not much better than the "ReleaseNotesSP23.pdf" but it's a start.

I don't think you can use this security to secure all version that begin with "TEST*". If you wanted to do this then ROW security on the F983051 table would be the way to go.

This security is used to FURTHER define Application or Action Security for a specific Interactive Application, Batch Application or Form within an Interactive Application.

The reason why NOTHING works is that in all this wonderful documentation they make no mention of the following requirements: (1) You must be running SP23 AND (2) You must install ESU's for P00950 (and perhaps others) to make this all work. Search the Websit for ESU's on P00950 and apply them.

I have installed and tested this at customers but none have opted to implement it. FYI It does actually work.

Colin

From Oracle:

Version Security (for either Interactive or Batch Versions) didn't exist until the EnterpriseOne 8.10 release of the software. This security *enhancement* was in such demand that Development rolled back this feature to Xe, and is available with Service Pack (aka Tools Release) 23, and the ESU associated with SAR 7034271.

With this feature, you can have Application Security, Action Security, Column Security and Processing Option Security imposed at the version level, rather than an entire application and all its versions.

There's really not much documentation on this tools enhancement. From the Release Notes for PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne Tools 8.93 documentation:

Version Security
PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne security enables a security administrator to control application security for individual users and groups of users.
PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne Tools 8.93 provides version security, which enables you to apply the following types of security to versions of applications:
• Application security Controls access or installation of a specific version of an application.
• Action security Secures users from executing a particular action in an application version, such as adding, deleting, revising, inquiring, or copying a record.
• Column security Controls access to a specific column within an application version.
• Processing option security Controls whether users can view or change the values for processing options, which affects how the associated application version works.

Back