BarbKramarski

Have a client that we launched a full build at on Sunday evening. GBRSPEC is
still building today the count was 600,000. They are at release 7.32 Windows
NT and AS/400 for the Enterprise. Central objects are on the 400. Besides
tweaking the ODBC. DOes anyone else have suggestions on how we can speed this
build up
Thanks
Barb Kramarski

What are the specs of the client PC you are using to build the PKG on?

Also, increasing the bandwidth between the PC and deployment server will help the client portion.

Barb -

We are on 7321 and our full client build takes less than 2 hours. Are
you building the package from a wrkstation or the deployment server?

Dan

Check=20the=20NIC=20card=20settings=20and=20make=20sure=20it=20is=20forced =20to=20Full=20Duplex.=20If=20it
is=20set=20to=20automatic=20or=20half,=20this=20will=20cause=20you=20perfo rmance=20issues.

It depends on the power of the deployment server (processors, memory, etc.) Is any virus protection software running ? If so turn it off on the server.

I did not even think of that. Thanks I will check. I killed the package but
would like to some tuning prior to launching the build again.
Barb

Since the full package is comprised of two sections, Client side build, and the Server side package build, See if you can determine which part is running the longest.
Some issues I have seen:
1) How is DNS resolved. With all the ODBC SQL calls for package builds, the WINS resolution or TCP HOSTs resolution should be setup as LOCAL on the machines doing the package builds, and on the deployment server. Use the HOSTS or LMHOSTS files for this on the PC's
2) Same with the enterprise server. Use the *LOCAL option on the iSeries resolving from the CFGTCP option 10 (HOSTS file) method. Have te deployment server in the list too.

3) Make sure the PC's NIC cards are NOT set to autodetect on the speed. Hard set them to 100Full duplex. Same with the Switch, and same with the 400 LIND settings. I've proved that autodetect will often slip to 10Mbs Half Duplex at times. Not cool....

4) I've seen some older iSeries LIND settings for Ethernet far below the 1490 packet sizes. Make sure your getting the biggest packet sizes on your iSeries.

Please report back with your solution if you fix it.
thanks,
JJ

I recently experienced this slow build with a similar environment. Reducing the LOB threshold for Control Tables ODBC corrected my issue and client build reduced back to about 2 1/2 hours.

Back