Very Simple question - Application Security & Action Code Security

naintara

When I look at the security workbench, sometimes I see that the group has been granted application security, yet they have a YYY in View/Add/etc.

Do you know what this means?

There are different types of security. Your first part is App. security to allow you to access the App or not. The second part is action security and that gives you or restricts you fron the different types of actions you can do within the App.

I think the question is a little deeper than that. If you look at the Application Security Line of code in the workbench, you'll see that on the same line there are "Y"s in the View, Add, Change, Delete Columns. These values are there regardless of whether or not there is a separate Action Security entry for that object. In fact, you can set Action Security to "N" across the board for that object and there will still be "Y"s in the same columns on the App Security line. I've never really figured out why either and never really cared enough to try and figure it out, but do know the developers use some of the same columns for different security types. For instance, OK/Select column is also used to store the Prompt for Data Selection, security setting, etc, etc...

That is interesting. We just finished implementing security for an 8.9 install on an AS/400 and the only 2 columns you have access to are install / run in the App Security. I just looked out of curiosity and all other columns are blank in Security Workbench. It’s been a while since I worked on previous versions of EO1 and I don’t remember if they showed up under different columns in the App Security.
F.Murray CNC Admin EO1 8.9.3 AS/400 upgrading to 8.10

I've never done security on an AS, but from what I recall, it's handled differently that on SQL, which probably accounts for the difference we see.

Back