Do ESUs affect bsfn in customizations

JdeBlues

Well Known Member
Hi all, :confused:

Forgive me if this seems to be a weird question but i really need some clues.

Would like to double-check with you all, when an ESU is applied (objects to fix includes bsfn), would my customized applications and reports (ie i copy out into R59* and modified and which contains such bsfn) be affected?

Reason being, i have a strange issue which coincidentially happened after we applied an ESU. My debug tracing leads to a bsfn used in the report, we did not hit such issues prior to the ESU. I am wondering if the ESU was supposed to "fix" the bsfn but somehow caused another problem? The objects listed in the html for the ESU lists the bsfn.

Pls advise if this could happen, if not mistaken, i do remember the theory of copying into R59* is supposed to exclude such customization during ESU and upgrades. [color:blue] [/color] Thanks in advance.

EnterpriseOne B7334, SP21, AS400 V5R2M0

No, your system code objects in 55-59 would not be touched by any ESU. However, an object copied and modified, though put into system code 55-59, might call a "out of the box" BSFN (via ER for instance) or object that WAS affected by the ESU.

This is why that any ESU should be run through the impact analyzer and any objects should be run against a current copy of the cross reference tables.

Regards,

Your R59* objects won't ever be affected by Software Updates. But, once your customized object uses standard objects, yes, you get affected by SUs and, yes, it may cause problems. A good hint would be to look at possible changes in the same SU to the original object you used to create your customized one.

Hi thank you both for your ideas. I logged the case to GSS and apparently they provided another ESU to apply....yikes!

Back