Someone decipher this e-mail from Oracle

dpeplinski

the Paragraph in question:

"Oracle will continue to enhance the PeopleSoft product lines, and we will release a next version of both the Enterprise and EnterpriseOne products. We are committed to supporting PeopleSoft Enterprise Version 8 until at least 2013, and we will continue to support the World product according to existing PeopleSoft policies. "

Am I missing something, but are EnterpriseOne customers out in the cold after the next release?

I also received that e-mail from Oracle. I replied to the e-mail by asking them if they where going to clarify their support position on E1 soon.

Patty

Yes EnterpriseOne is dead. Start plan now for what
you are going to move to.

I asked that question of Oracle after the December
20th customer conference call and have not heard a
word back.

So I guess that is my answer.

Support and development for both E and E1 will be continued through at least the next "major" release of both suites. For E1 this means that support and development will be offered for at lease the 8.12 E1 release.

This doesn't mean that support/development won't continue beyond that, but all that is being promised is the next release of both suites.

Regards,

I need to ask everyone a question here.

Do you really think that Oracle would spend so much money on buying a company, and then immediately ditch all of that companies' products ?

What possible business sense is there in purchasing Peoplesoft for $10b - then going through, firing everyone, ripping out the sourcecode and all of their products - and then trying to integrate the functionality into their own product. Never mind the fact that they'll spend additional billions in development costs to achieve that.

You really think they want the campus and the company address book ???

C'mon people. Oracle is going to be highly motivated to keep OneWorld AND Enterprise around for the foreseeable future. The direction is going to be towards merging the peoplesoft Enterprise functionality with Oracle applications - since they share a very similar toolset methodology - but theres absolutely no way on earth that they can "merge" EnterpriseOne with anything ! Peoplesoft couldn't do it - nor will Oracle.

I expressed this fact over a year ago in a post - and I expressed worry that Peoplesoft might not see the value of the JDE software. I'll express the same fact here, and the same worry - but my worry is a lot less since we've already gone through this transition once before.

Oracle aren't dumb. Peoplesoft weren't dumb. JDE Managers were the stupidest clods in the industry and were driven totally by up-front cash.

Oracle is going to spend 12 months going through the technologies and trying to identify what can easily be transitioned into their own technology. They'll evaluate what they've bought, and they'll understand that the EnterpriseOne technology is vastly different from the Oracle Applications Java-based technology. More than likely they'll make some tweaks with 8.12 like using Oracle Java Application Server instead of Websphere, and creating support for Oracle 10g database. We'll also likely see a "bundled" solution with the database and application server down the road as well, similar to what JDE was doing with IBM.

However, if the sales of EnterpriseOne (which, more than likely, will change its name AGAIN) continue - then you'll likely see continued support and development PAST 2006. Oracle have committed to 10 years of support for EntepriseOne from when they started this (18 months ago) - that leaves 8.5 years to go.

It looks as if the Knowledge Garden is being re-written with Oracle Technology at the moment - this will be a VERY good thing....

I disagree.

Oracle only cares about the licensing revenue it gets from the Peoplesoft acquisition. Larry does not care much if any about the software. The quicker he can kill the Peoplesoft product lines and get the customers moved to Oracle the better.

Here are his challenges:
1. Getting customers off the Peoplesoft product line to the Oracle suite as soon as possible. This can be accomplished by lowering the level of service on the Peoplesoft product lines. Simultaneously providing economic incentive (i.e. get the RDBMS for free) to move to the Oracle suit.
2. Keeping the customers from going to a different vendor. Who else can they go to? SAP, Microsoft, Baan?
3. Not violating current contracts.

Jeremy, Where is your informaiton coming from?
--
Scott B. Whipple
Senior Technical Consultant
17611 E. Tennessee Pl.
Aurora, CO 80017
Work 303-337-1906
Cell 303-885-1405
Fax 303-306-1800

BM_3PRODUCT DEVELOPMENT AND SUPPORT

Q: What types of product maintenance and support will Oracle provide to
PeopleSoft customers, and how often will it provide them?
A: Oracle intends to protect and increase the value of your PeopleSoft
investments. Improvements to versions of the current PeopleSoft products
will continue, including our commitment to support Enterprise version 8
until at least 2013.

Oracle will provide a range of long-term support options for the
EnterpriseOne product line (formerly known as JD Edwards 5), as well as
future product releases of Enterprise and EnterpriseOne.

For World Software, Oracle anticipates adopting and continuing PeopleSoft's
current support policy. Product support will include defect corrections as
they arise, regular product enhancements such as new reports or
functionality, and certain regulatory updates.

***Just my thoughts***

The thing that sticks out to me is that Oracle has been consistant in saying development of ERP 8 (which was/is JDE 5) and is NOT 8.10 / 8.11 will be continued. I wonder if Softacle (still my favorite post-merger name) would move forward with the ERP 8 product but becuase of all the Intellectual property mixing with 8.10/11 and the Peoplesoft Enterprise Product would NOT continue to develop the 8.10/11 products. Woudn't that be interesting, after all peoplesoft did with the Upgrade Care plans etc, that those who upgraded to 8.10/11 would be the worst off.

See some quotes below

"In its meeting with Quest, Oracle also sought to dismiss the notion that it would sell off any part of the PeopleSoft business. Oracle promised new versions of both PeopleSoft Enterprise (Version 9) and EnterpriseOne (Version 6 of the former JDE OneWorld) applications. It also promised to extend support for EnterpriseOne Version XE; the support was slated to end in February. Oracle officials did not, however, commit to the length of the extension."

Q: What types of product maintenance and support will Oracle provide to PeopleSoft customers, and how often will it provide them?
A: Oracle intends to protect and increase the value of your PeopleSoft investments. Improvements to versions of the current PeopleSoft products will continue, including our commitment to support Enterprise version 8 until at least 2013. Oracle will provide a range of long-term support options for the EnterpriseOne product line (formerly known as JD Edwards 5), as well as future product releases of Enterprise and EnterpriseOne. For World Software, Oracle anticipates adopting and continuing PeopleSoft's current support policy. Product support will include defect corrections as they arise, regular product enhancements such as new reports or functionality, and certain regulatory updates.

see...no talk about developing 8.10/11.....Then again, maybe I am just reading to many Dan Brown / Tom Clancy novels and am paranoid.

I believe when Oracle talks about the Enterprise version 8 they are talking about the Peoplesoft Enterprise product and not the former JDE OneWorld product. I don't think Oracle understands the convoluted naming conversion that JDE/Peoplesoft dreamed up. Releases Xe, ERP8(B8,8.0,JD Edwards 5), ERP9(B9,JD Edwards 5,9.0), 8.9(B9,ERP9,9.0), 8.10, 8.11, 8.12. Then there are the service packs or "tools release" 8.92, 8.93, 8.94.

Peoplesoft used to name the technical manual by release. The Systems Admin manual delivered with 8.10 is called EnterpriseOne 8.93 System Administration, which is the service pack/tool release. It's hard for anybody to keep this stuff straight. If Peoplesoft wanted to differentiate their product from the former JDE product they should have abandoned the 8's altogether. The first thing Oracle will probably do is the branding thing that Peoplesoft did. Who knows what EnterpriseOne is going to be called. Just my opinion.

Patty

Re: RE: Someone decipher this e-mail from Oracle

I'm amused to see people really buying into the Oracle press on this thing. Does anyone really believe Oracle will support all these different products when they drop their own previous release levels so quickly? Are we that easily convinced that they do not intend as they said initially to convert all they could into their product and then dump the rest (may take a few years but really now this is Oracle). How do you cut 6,800 or so staff from an already trimmed staff and still maintain/support a product correctly? Anyone can post Q&A information and tell customers what they want but we should be a bit more realistic here. They can keep support open (sure as long as they can milk it they will ... of course) but of what value will it be? How much of the limited resources they have will they spend on World (a product based on a competitors DB) or OW for that matter. The majority of JDE customers are small time to Oracle and they may just come out and only support it on Oracle and force the SQL Server and DB2 customers to switch or get minimal support. They I'm sure do not have it completely figured out yet so anything they say is just talk. Whatever they do their history should tell us they will not be supporting these competing products very well because it is in their own best interest to move customers to their DB product family and to minimize the various products they support (and they are known for not keeping support for long periods on their own releases). They spent a lot of money getting PSFT and they will get revenue not support old product lines and sap resources. Has anyone really dealt with Oracle .. they are not very honest and surely not customer friendly like PSFT/JDE were .. does anyone with understanding dispute this? They shouldn't and that should tell us what will happen. Oracle will not become a nice company overnight and will be the fierce profit oriented competitor they are (it has served them well). They can write and promise all they want and we can talk all we want but actions will speak louder than words like they always have for Oracle. I would think we should be sceptical if anything but if you want to believe the hype then I guess the PR is working;-)
Just my 2 cents:)

yes, thanks for the info. I have reviewed the couple of links you mentioned, but really not much was mentioned regarding specific support dates for EnterpriseOne.

I expect to hear quite a bit more after the new organization has its kickoff on, what, Jan 16th?

Back