WebSphere and Repository

gigi

gigi

VIP Member
Hi guy,
I installed EnterpriseOne 8.9 with WebSphere 4.05 (horizontal and vertical cloning) on Windows 2000 and WebSphere Repository on UDB DB2 8.1.
I'm not able to find documentation about database repository migration. I want to migrate WebSphere repository from UDB for Windows to DB2 for AS400. Is it possible? Have you documentation about it?
Thanks in advance
Gigi

Salud Gigi,
I did not understand very well what you're trying to accomplish, so bare with me a few minutes:
- You have installed PEO8.9 on Windows 2000, and DB2 UDB 8.1 with WAS 4.05 - where did you install these - on the Enterprise Server? Or on a web Server? Why did you not go to Windows 2003, and WAS5? WebSphere is well known to have memory leaks in release 4 (and fixpak 5 is not its last one trying to fix them!).
- Why migrating the repository database? Its role is to keep the serialized objects information, the source of this information being the objects generation process. That is, the moment you generate a full set of objects, the repository database gets a full set of records. And you want to do a full generation, anyway, so why would you want to migrate something you're going to overwrite?
Your system/platform information would have helped here, just a bit ...
Warm regards,

Thanks Adrian to reply me,
Configuration:
1) Enterprise and Database server: 1 AS400 - enterpriseOne 8.9
2) Web Server: 2 Windows2000 with WebSphere
3) Another Server Windows2000: WebSphere repository Database (NOT
EnterpriseOne database for serialized object or business
data....). Database where WebSphere stores its information on
WEBAPP installed, NODES......

I want to migrate this WS repository database From UDB DB2 for windows to DB2 for AS400 on Enterprise Server.
I hope this help you to understand
Thanks
gigi

This may be what you have in mind? It was all taken from the IBM Infocenter for WAS 4. the title of the doc is:
3.5.1: Using the database conversion assistant to switch administrative databases
See this doc at: http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infoc...ibm.websphere.v4.doc/wasa_content/030501.html

Another topic of interest will be At: http://www-306.ibm.com/software/webservers/appserv/was/library/library4.html WAS4 InfoCenter

Here is the general text.

3.5: Switching administrative databases
Suppose you want to switch from one supported database brand to another, for use as the WebSphere administrative database. Originally, the WebSphere Application Server installation program prompted you to enter information about the database configuration. This article provides instructions for switching to a different database brand without needing to run the WebSphere Application Server installation program again.

Basically, you need to preserve the administrative configurations as stored in the current database, switch the administrative server settings to point to the new database, then import the administrative configurations into the new database. Follow these instructions:

Stop the WebSphere administrative server (or servers).
Use the -export option of the XMLConfig command line administrative client to export the configuration information from the current administrative database.
Assuming you have already installed the database brand to which you are switching, start the database management system for the database. Use the administrative facilities to create an appropriately named database to use as the WebSphere administrative database.
Use the database conversion assistant to guide you through the necessary setting changes.
The Related information describes the settings affected by the database conversion assistant.

To have the new database contain configurations for the default application server and other default resources, follow the instructions in article 6.6.46 for an already installed product.
Use the -import option of the XMLConfig command line administrative client to import the configuration information that you exported earlier. This will effectively put the contents of the former administrative database into the new administrative database.
Start the administrative server.

Besides checking that the tables and data were correctly imported to the new database, performing the last two steps provides verification that the procedure was successful. If the administrative database settings were not modified successfully, the import would fail with SQL errors related to creating tables and data that already exist. (The import would be attempting to write to the former database, from which it exported the data, instead of to the new database). Similarly, attempts to start the administrative server would fail with SQL-related exceptions

gigi, thank YOU for taking the time to make things clearer for me.
I'll let AS400 gurus to take this post over.

My experience at 4.05 was the XMLConfig export/import approach brought over about 95% of the objects and a few had to manually defined afterwards. If memory serves, I think it was the Virtual Host information that needed to be done manually.

Hi,
now I'm testing the repository change. I have some problems.
Step implemented:
1) created via DB2 client a connection to DB2 AS400 databasefrom windows web server. runs correctly (name of connection is MILITS42)
2) Modified admin.config and initial_setup.properties (setup jt400.jar .... attacched files)
Other information
Web server name : RIVITSW1
AS400 : MILITS42
DBSchema : EJSADMIN

3) start WebSphere service on Windows 2K, and it creates table on AS400 in EJSADMIN library
4) but when I try to open Administrative console it doesn't start. In Websphere log I find error like "....LOCK_TABLE file is in use"

On AS400 I see that there are 2 QZDASOINIT that locks tables. Do you have any idea on my problem?
I have another doubt, does jt400.jar use the db2 connection to connect to AS400?
Thanks in advance
Gigi

Attachments

• 85634-files.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 188
Back