Error Printing a Formscape Document

wgrantusa

Well Known Member
We are sending a OneWorld PDF through Formscape and when it goes to print, it errors out. This printer is located in our NY office and is using a NT print server. We do not have the problem here in our NJ office and we are using a 2000 server. I do not know if it is a problem with the print server or the model of the printer.

Any one have any ideas?
Stephanie

Attachments

• 83498-HPNYOError.gif
    83498-HPNYOError.gif
    41 KB · Views: 257
I assume that it was printing before without a problem and now has a problem. Or is this the first time printing to NY?

Two things to review are the connection itself and the print driver in New York. In the case of the WAN there might be a bandwidth issue. Just as likely is the print driver. Sometimes with newer model printers the PCL6 driver is not as stable as the PCL5e driver. This is rarely the case though. It might be that driver installed is for W2K when it needs to be the NT version of the driver.

Are FormScape Printer objects or Dynamic Printer objects being used? If Dynamic Printer, then it is better to define the printers first to be installed to the same server that hosts FormScape. In fact, that is FormScape recommended way for all printer definitions. The printer definitions won't need to be shared and naming them with a '$' appended makes these invisible to users on the network. Thus avoiding assignments conflicts. Downside is duplicate maintenance in order to stay synchronized.

Oh yeah, it is using Printer Objects--I just looked at the attachment. What machine was used to develop this; what are its defined printers in its Windows Print Manager? It's possible that the Printer Object used the driver on that machine and it probably doesn't match the one in NY. It can be a tricky gotcha.

[ QUOTE ]
I assume that it was printing before without a problem and now has a problem. Or is this the first time printing to NY?

Two things to review are the connection itself and the print driver in New York. In the case of the WAN there might be a bandwidth issue. Just as likely is the print driver. Sometimes with newer model printers the PCL6 driver is not as stable as the PCL5e driver. This is rarely the case though. It might be that driver installed is for W2K when it needs to be the NT version of the driver.

Are FormScape Printer objects or Dynamic Printer objects being used? If Dynamic Printer, then it is better to define the printers first to be installed to the same server that hosts FormScape. In fact, that is FormScape recommended way for all printer definitions. The printer definitions won't need to be shared and naming them with a '$' appended makes these invisible to users on the network. Thus avoiding assignments conflicts. Downside is duplicate maintenance in order to stay synchronized.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will take a look into that. I am hoping that is the problem. We will be upgrading the print server in our NY Office in February. Hopefully this will fix the problem

Back