Looking for very big Oracle database (over 100 Go)

ggac

ggac

We are upgrading OneWorld B7334 to 8.10 (Oracle 9i). Now, the size oh the database is 30 Go.
We estimate that the final database size will be approximately 750 Go.
Does anyboby, on the List, have such a big database (or bigger )? Are the performances correct ? Do you have applied special tuning on the database (index, tablespace,....) ? Could you tell me about your experience on it ?

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Ours currently sits at 216GB. I'm not sure if there was anything done special to the DB to handle the size. It's more of a matter of handling the extra users we've put on the system.

I know that we've done some partitioning and purging data to history files to manage response times for a few applications and reports.

Dan

Yes, you will need some extra tuniing for that.

I just finished tuning a 750GB DB, although it was an SQL DB. The biggest Oracle DB I tuned was ~100GB. There's a lot more than just indexes one can tune in Oracle, though.

The fact is, that after about 50GB everythings starts running slower for all sites and after ~100GB some things are becoming unbearably slow.

At 750GB, unless tuned, it can become a major disaster: everything is slow, overnight jobs don't finish until midday, interactive users can have a cup of coffee or two in between clicking "Find" and seeing the results, low morale, managers get fired, other employees are leaving by themselves, nobody is happy.

Two usual major reasons for poor performance are:
- Inadequately sized and/or allocated disks
- Extra indexes required

Unfortunately, the importance of performance is practically always underestimated and all performance issues always come as a complete surprise...

Another thing, is that "performance" is hard to qualify and that does not come by itself, someone has to spend time building appropriate reporting.

Back