Issue installing 8.93_N1 Service Pack on Deployment Server

ice_cube210

VIP Member
Hi List,

I just finished installing my 8.10 Deployment server today for my Xe upgrade. I downloaded the latest SP, which happened to be 8.93_N1. I ran the exe for the Client on the DS. The instllation manager screen came up, I clicked next next, went thru the installation, completed it, and I also got the msg box saying SP installed successfully.

I went into my E810\System\bin32...just to check whether the files had got updated and none of the files had been updated. I also checked the ptf.log file, which should have been updated with the SP and one-off info, but it was also not updated.

Some files in the OneWorld Client install folder had got updated, but the SP dint update any of the files under my system folder. I checked that I have full permissions on all the 810 directories and none of the folders are Read-Only. The SP installation does point to the correct directory path in the installation screen. My "path" env variable is set properly.to include the 810 system folder....am really lost...as to what cud be wrong

I backed off the SP, tried installing it again (it does give me msg saying that SP has already been installed...any idea where this info is stored.?).

I even tried downloading the SP again and installing, but no luck. Has any one seen anything like this. Any of you on E810 applied 8.93_N1.?

My DS is on Windows 2000 SP4.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

First, stop the WMI and Windows installer services and the Microsoft SQL service(s) if any. I sometimes have to do this on fat clients any time I install a new full package.

Thanks for your response Charles.

The Windows Installer service was not started when I tried to install the service pack. But the there are 2 WMI services. One is WMI, and the other is WMI extension driver. Should I stop both. Also 8.10 will have always have the MSDE SQL service running on the deployment server, so are you saying to stop that also before installing the SP..?

The really wierd thing is that the installtion does not give any errors up front. But under the covers its not doing everything it is supposed to.

You can't really stop the extension driver, but the WMI is stoppable. We are running 8.9, but it should be the same thing. Stop the SQL service before you run the SP install - also make sure you are backing up the SP directory as indicated in the install guide.

Hi. Ok I will stop the WMI and the MSDE SQL Service and give it a try. I have backups of system, systemcomp and OneWorld Client Install. So I will revert back to the old SP and try again. Will let you know the outcome

Thanks

Hi Charles,

It Worked!! I stopped the WMI service and the SQL Service and the SP Install went thru properly updating all the files. Thanks a lot for your help.

Just of curiosity, how did you find this solution. And how do these services affect the SP installation.

Thanks again.

I read about the WMI service on jdelist. The SQL service issue I figured out on my own - just had a hunch.

Back