JAS performance after SP23_F1

• Thread starter brother_of_karamazov
  • Start date

brother_of_karamazov

Legendary Poster
Anyone seen a slight performance slowdown with JAS after applying SP23_F1?

After jumping from SP22_S1 to SP23_F1, our users reported:
* Batch jobs run much faster
* HTML navigation is slightly slower.

To be fair, we also upgraded the web server to WebSphere 5.0.2 and Windows 2003 at the same time we upgraded to SP23_F1.

I am getting slightly to much slower HTML pop-up. It is noticeable at the user level. I did an update statistics and DBCC reindex on the serialized objects table and it helped a little and brought SQL CPU down but this it not the same snappy system my users loved prior to the SP.

Opps- OK, Now I see the note about Win2.3K and 5.0.2
Do you run w/ HTML HTTP Compression? I'm still SP23C1 but wanted to toss out some of the things I've done since SP23 and WAS 5.0.2
- Upgraded to IBM's HTTP Serve 2.sumthin'
-Turned on HTTP compression
- Installed the 5.0.2.6 PTF
-Installed the IBM SR7 Java SP for WAS 5.0.2, which fixed significant JVM memory leaks and such as observed with the Tivoli tool and the JVM memory usage reports. Cleans up Carbage colletion problems too.
-turned OFF garbage collection for the JVM. Let WAS 5.0.2.6 handle when needed. This is just what worked best for us. You need to test with this...
-Setup Clustering (cloning) to offer much greater threading across CPU's in Win platform only. Unless clustered, the CPU usuage seems to remain fixed at 1 by the JVM . (As we observed in Win2K Perfmon with CPU monitors running.)

I'm no expert on WAT for NT, just some school of hard knocks I went through w/ WAS on NT.

Keep us posted on your tuning efforts!
Jeff.

This is probably not your problem but I thought it would be a value to some users who may have this problem. We upgraded to B8.9 from B7332 and went to JAS servers. We had a major issue with performance on the JAS server when drilling down to detail records. I process that would normally take under a minute (depending on number of records) would take 45 minutes. We were the guinea pig with this problem and after a lot of effort with Peoplesoft support and MS a bug was found with users who run non-unicode. The fix was next to nothing and bang we got it running the way it was supposed to. The SAR is 7342151.

Windows\SQL 2000 IBM HTML\WIN2000 B8.9

You talking about having to add

SelectMethod=cursor;sendStringParametersAsUnicode=false to tnsnames.sql?

It looks like they finally SAR'red this one.

This is the number one performance helper in a SQL/JAS environment.

Thanks for the detailed description of your efforts.

Everything is all cloned out, vertically and horizontally and was very snappy prior to the SP23 installation. Mind you the performance is not terrible and the users seem satisfied. It just bugs me that it is slower.

I seem to be getting a four second delay between clicking a menu item and the HTML window popping up.

Back