7x or 8x P30 Multiple Processors to i5 520 P20 Single Processor

AllisonD

Well Known Member
Hi All,
Looking for anyone who has comments on moving from a multiple processor 7x or 8x box to a i5 single processor of equal or greater CPW. We're evaluating the move which would take us up in CPW but down in processors. I've read the white papers and the UBE ratings showing about a 4 to 1 increase in UBE running power on the Power5 chip. Looking for anyone whose been there and done that and lived to tell about it. Analytically I believe it's a better processor with better performance and it shouldn't be an issue. Psychologically speaking, going from an 8-way to a 1-way is a bit scary. All comments gratefully accepted.

- Do you use the HTML client at all w/ iSeries Wepshere? If so, V5R3 and WAS5.0 or higher is all you can run. What I'm trying to say is that I think you'll need to be SP23 or higher if you run JAS on the 570 iSeries at all.

anyway....our tests:
We run a 5way 840 lpar w/ 12Gb wq/ SP22 & SP23 MF. We did testing on a 2way 570 w/ 11gb or RAM and threw the KS (kitchen Sink) at it! It hit 95% util but still ran our UBE's w/ 40% improvments in time to complettion. We run w/ WAS 5, the JAS server, Ent server as a AIO and saw overall about 40% improvments. btw/ we are heavily modified in code.
The PD env is almost 600Gb of data with Million Row files.

My 2cents...

I'd recommend that you get an IBM Reseller who is authorized to do sizings on iSeries for PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne to get you a new spreadsheet.

We sell EnterpriseOne, service it and sell IBM hardware (we have the IBM Value add for PeopleSoft which allows us to do sizings). We have several EnterpriseOne customers who we've sold i5's to recently. Every single customer has been estatic with the results.

In your config, instead of the 3300 CPW 520 or 550 you're looking at you might want to consider the 6000 CPW 520 or 550.

Colin