Citrix Development Server

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
Hi List,
I am looking to setup a Citrix Development server in order to get rid of the dozen or so FAT clients the developers use. My biggest questions are on deployments and how that would work? Does anyone have a white paper or some documentation on setting up and maintaining a Citrix development machine? Thanks,

DebugFile=c:\jdedebug.log
JobFile=c:\jdedebug.log
Frequency=10000
OWDEVELOPER=TRUE
RegisterRDAReportView=1

When you build a full package, be sure to build a full set of specs for data dictionary (R92TAM) and a full set of Global tables (R98CRTGL) (releases XE and above)
add the files to the full package on the deployment server and recompress the package.

It is a good idea to deploy the full package with full specs to the citrix server on a regular schedule as well as reboot the citrix server weekly (this is at your discretion; you will have a better idea of how many users are on the server and how much activity there is).
This will keep specs from corrupting and getting strange results like missing buttons.

I find it easier to use the command line to install to citrix, this way I can use a batch file to:
1) Stop virus services
2) Put terminal server in install mode...i.e. change user /install
3) initiate Oneworld client install
"\\deploymentservername\B9\OneWorld Client install\setup.exe" -v -d %drive%:\B9 -p %1
My script passes variables of the letter drive where Oneworld is installed and %1 is the actual name of the package you are deploying.

Something to note: It will not prompt you for dev objects versus prod objects. It will automatically pick up the package type in the registry of the server. By default it is dev objects, but you can change it to install prod objects by changing the setting in your registry:
HKEY LOCAL Machine..
SOFTWARE
ONEWORLD
Install.ini
B9
In B9, the string for INSTALL TYPE will be Compact for production objects or Typical for development objects

Hope this helps.
Nyasha

Sorry about that here is the beginning of that message:

I do not have any documentation but will share some tips that maybe helpful.

I find it easier to use the command line to install to citrix, this way I can use a batch file to:
1) Stop virus services
2) Put terminal server in install mode: change user /install
When the install is complete you must put the Citrix server back in execute mode: Change user /execute
3) Initiate Oneworld client install the syntax is as follows where deploymentservername is the name of your deployment server.

"\\deploymentservername\B9\OneWorld Client install\setup.exe" -v -d %drive%:\B9 -p %1
My script passes variables of the letter drive where Oneworld is installed and %1 is the actual name of the package you are deploying.

You can deploy updates the same way.

Something to note: It will not prompt you for dev objects versus prod objects. It will automatically pick up the package type in the registry of the server. By default it is (Typical) for dev objects, but you can change it to install prod objects (Compact) by changing the setting in the registry of the citrix server in:
HKEY LOCAL Machine..
SOFTWARE
ONEWORLD
Install.ini
B9

In B9, the string for INSTALL TYPE will be Compact for production objects or Typical for development objects

Based on your email, you are going to have developers perform development on the citrix server, In which case they will need to have admin rights to do development on a citrix server OR you can put the following setting in the DEBUG section of developer(s) JDE.INI file

[DEBUG]
TAMMultiUserOn=0
Output=NONE
ServerLog=1
LEVEL=BSFN,EVENTS
;BSFN,EVENTS,SF_CONTROL,SF_GRID,SF_PARENT_CHILD,SF_GENERAL,SF_MESSAGING,SF_WORKFLOW,SF_WORKFLOW_ADMIN,SF_MEDIA_OBJ

you have the rest of it in the previous post...

Hi,

If you want to set it up so that multiple developers can log in the same time and work , then they need to have their own spec directories to avoid corruption.

I am attaching a doc , that expalins this. It does not talk about how to maintain this setup and package deployments etc.

Hope its of use.

Attachments

• 82404-Development on Citrix.doc
    118.5 KB · Views: 832
In just the same way you do the initial set-up, you would maintain it.

Each time you deploy a new package to the Citrix machine, you will need to copy the DV pathcode directory from the root to each of the developer's directories.

You will also need to edit the registry on the Citrix machine in the following manner:

In the HKLM\Software\microsoft\windows nt\currentversion\terminal server\compatibility\inifiles location, add a DWORD key named JDE with a hex value of 4C.

This setting will keep your developer's JDE.INI files in the Documents and Settings folders from being replaced.

Hope this helps.

Back