data dictionary changes

mikemcg12

I'm trying to make a change to a data dictionary item. Alias: P003. I want to change the size from 3 to a larger size like 12 characters. I make the change in work with data dictionary items and then I delete the spec files qlbltbl.ddb, qlbltbl.xdb, dddict.ddb, dddict.xdb, ddtext.ddb, ddtext.xdb. But when I enter information into it. It still won't take more than 3 characters. Any Ideas? I would really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Mike,

Changing the DD does not change the underlying tables. I see in my xref that this item is used in 26 tables, 24 forms, 571 times in batch applications, 84 views...

Making a change like this is a major undertaking. You'd have to modify each of these tables to accept the longer length, look at each application and report, etc., etc. to make sure they all work and display the 12 chars..

You may need to use more than 1 category code or come up with another scheme unless you really want to tackle this kind of a change!

You will also need to redefine the length of UDC 06/03 from 3 to whatever.

Take care and make sure you know all the ramifications!

Mike,

a stronger note of caution: changing the size or data type of a DD item is a good way to hose your system.

This field use a UDC to edit values and the maxim length in a UDC is 10 characters (DRKY).

Regards
Luis Felipe

well after all of that information I believe we will look for a different way of entering this information. Thanks for all the info. You probably saved me from hours and hours of headaches.

Back