Any one who were an AS/400 shop and are now an NT shop, please share your experiences

Muzaffar Ahmad

We are an AS/400 based company running World Software (100 users world wide). We are planning to go to One World 8.11. Should we buy a new AS/400 or move to the NT platform. NT is cheaper but what are we giving up for saving the cost?
Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Muzaffar

Re: Any one who were an AS/400 shop and are now an NT shop, please share your experiences

Muzaffar,

if you search the list, you will conclude that most people aibd by the simple rule that you should go where your current expertise take you. If you are a 400 shop, than stay with the 400.

We haved moved from the 400 to SQL painlessly. However, in-house expertise becan more SQL over the years than 400, so basically there was more SQL expertise in-house than 400... oh, and budget cuts and money also made the move justifiable as well.

My two cents CAD,

Re: Any one who were an AS/400 shop and are now an NT shop, please share your experiences

The hardware costs for the AS/400 purchase or lease will be less. You will have less expensive maintenance costs.
You will no longer require the services of an AS/400 administrator.
It will be tougher to reach the same level of uptime and you will need additional network admin support.

It is all a trade off.
Muzaffar is right, different skills are needed and they are not grown overnight.

I'm certain there's an iSeries reseller reading this chomping at the bit. There are deals to be made right now!

Thanks for your comments, Jim.
Assuming that we don't have a lot of expertise in SQL server arena, would you still suggest that we consider switching to the SQL server environment?
If you do, this would mean that the learning curve is not too steep and can be justified based on other factors.

Thanks,
Muzaffar

As far as JDE skills, the transition should be seamless. However skills outside of JDE will require a complete retooling.
* Database maintenance
- Integrity checking
- Index maintenance
- Backup and Recovery
: Direct to disk or tape
: Simple or full logging
- Environment refreshes (not using R98403)
- Security of the data
* Script and Code
- Out with RPG/in with DTS
- Out with CL/in with batch files
- Out with CAX for data access/ in with MDAC
- Out with CAX for tools/ in with Enterprise Manager
- Out with Robot/ in with ???

Dido the above comments, don't move to a different platform until you have the skill set in house to manage that platform.

Develop the skill set by running less critical systems on Windows/SQL or hire the Windows/SQL skill set. If you don't have the skill set to manage the platform, the cost savings won't justify jeopardizing the business by learning from your mistakes.

Just my 2 cents...

Muzaffar,

to answer your question, no I would not suggest moving to another platform for the sake of moving to another platform. If your company has strong business reasons for doing so, then I agree 100% with Jeremy: learn the new skills outside of JDE or on a SEPERATE test (pilot) system. Do not jeopardize the production system by trying to learn new tricks. In my opinion, (for all you pro AS/400 gurus out there, I am not trying to spark yet another platform war) it is much easier for someone who has an AS/400 background to learn SQL Server than is it for someone with a SQL Server background trying to learn AS/400. If you search through the LIST, you will find many varied and valid opinions for both platforms. Don't let the (initial) cost be your only factor for moving away from a platform.

Just my two cents CAD,

give cabot corporation a call here in atlanta

shearerj <[email protected]> wrote:As far as JDE skills, the transition should be seamless. However skills outside of JDE will require a complete retooling.
* Database maintenance
- Integrity checking
- Index maintenance
- Backup and Recovery
: Direct to disk or tape
: Simple or full logging
- Environment refreshes (not using R98403)
- Security of the data
* Script and Code
- Out with RPG/in with DTS
- Out with CL/in with batch files
- Out with CAX for data access/ in with MDAC
- Out with CAX for tools/ in with Enterprise Manager
- Out with Robot/ in with ???

Dido the above comments, don't move to a different platform until you have the skill set in house to manage that platform.

Develop the skill set by running less critical systems on Windows/SQL or hire the Windows/SQL skill set. If you don't have the skill set to manage the platform, the cost savings won't just! ify jeopardizing the business by learning from your mistakes.

Just my 2 cents...
Jeremy Shearer
Independent CNC Consultant
[email protected]

Back