building package for one server and deploying to other

jjcnc

Hello,

Does some one have the codument which describes the procedure of building the package for one app server and deploying it to rest of app servre of similar platform.

If some one know the steps that will help too

I do this all the time on W2K3 servers.

Copy the actually package from
\\server1\B7334\PD7334\PACKAGE\packagename to
\\server2\B7334\PD7334\PACKAGE\packagename
I use windows copy and paste. Make sure to copy the entire folder, I do a properties on both servers to make sure the file count and size match before proceeding.

Next, on the deployment server you have to copy one INF file.

in the
\\deployment\B7334\PD7334\PACKAGE\packagename\INTEL5.X
fold you will find Server1.inf Intel5.X will be 5.0 for 2k and 5.2 for W2k3, change the packagename to the package in question.

Copy Server1.inf and call it Server2.inf, the NAME MUST MATCH PERFECT TO THE MACHINE NAME, Including Caps or not.

Edit Server2.INF and change
BuildMachine=Server1 to
BuildMachine=Server2
Again these settings must match perfectly, including caps.

Once you have that done you should be able to do a package install on Server2.

One issue we have had is if you miss name something in the Server2.INF file, the deployemnt alters the files in \\server2\B7334\PD7334\PACKAGE\packagename. I haven't been able to figure out what it alters, but once it does it will not install, even if you fix the Server2.INF To fix it I've always deleted the package on \\server2\B7334\PD7334\PACKAGE\packagename and copied it again.

Hope this helps

In Unix we build and deploy the package to the first ES then copy the PD7333 directory structure to the other servers. One catch is that the other servers need to be the same OS type and version.

Dan

If you have built the package on the first server, and can shutdown the services on the second, complete the folowing after the build:
1. Shutdown services on the second server.
2. Copy BIN32 and SPEC from the package directory on the first server to the pathcode of the second server.
3. Start the services on the second server.

You can actually compress the full package on the build server and then deploy to another server of like architecture. It is almost as simple as adding your new server via the Add-On servers plan, compressing the package and then selecting the new server as an ES deployment location.

Brad,

Earlier, I used to zip the BIN32 and SPEC folders from my 1st server, and used to FTP and unzip them to 2nd server. I have recently started using the package transfer method. My doubts are:

1. I build a FULL pack on first Unix server, transfer the full package folder from 1st Unix server to 2nd Unix server, modify the .inf file on deployment box
to point to other server, and use standard package deployment to transfer files.

The doubt, I have is, when i build my update packages, on UNIX side,

1. do I have to transfer the Full package and update package(both?), from one unix server to other unix server? I ask this, because in Unix Server packages, the changes are reflected to the parent package on unix server. Then I use the package deployment tool, to deploy the UPDATE PACKAGE ONLY.

2. Or, I can just transfer the parent directory from the first unix server to the 2nd unix server and then use the deployment tool to redeploy the full package.

thanks
Yogesh

Use the INI flag on the build machine ( the machine you are submitting the build from )

Create the following in the build machine INI:
[BSFN BUILD]
DoCompression =1

Build packages.. this is your solution!

Indianyogi,
I you are going to copy Bin32 and Spec directory (i.e. Working path code )after applying package to First server then you will get chnages in update package also

If you are planning to copy package only then in that case copy only Full package since when Server Update package is created it updates Server Parent package so U have already those changes.

Back