8.10 Parallel Upgrade: WebSphere Question

billrausch

Environment: ERP8 (B7334), Windows 2000, SQL Server, Citrix & WebSphere

Question: We are performing a parallel upgrade (ie, keeping PD at B7334 and upgrading PY & DV to E1 8.10) and I don't understand how WebSphere will play in this environment.

Can one WebSphere server can handle the two releases of serialized objects (i.e., just generate the serialized objects for PY & DV) or do I need to have another WebSphere server and perform the normal installation routine?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I've been watching this post because we are looking at doing much the same thing. We are at B7.333 ORACLE, WIN2K, CITRIX and are scoping a migration to the web client. We currently have about 300 users running CITRIX clients and have been told that moving to the web client is easy and doesn't cost much :)

Has anyone been through this, that can share their experiences?

Depends on what version of WAS you're running. If you're running WAS4.0 Advanced (NOT Single Server) or WAS 5.0 Network Deployment (NOT Express) then you can have multiple instances running on whatever release you want. (If you got Tech Foundation -ie you were an original JDEdwards 5/ERP8 customer then you have no worries. If you got WAS directly from IBM then start checking your CD's)

If you're running WAS5.0 then your B733.X Service Pack must be at SP23 and your 8.9/8.10 Service Pack should be at 8.93 (makes life much easier).

If you're using WAS4.0 then it will run on pretty much any B733.X or 8.9/8.10 service pack.

With WAS 4.0 Advanced or WAS 5.0 ND (Network Deployment) you can install as many instances as you want on the box. Just configure different port numbers. For example in one of my installs I have ERP 8.0 PD on 8081, ERP 8.0 PY on 8082 and ERP 8 DV on 8083. In the same install I have 8.10 PD810 on 8091, 8.10 PY810 on 8092...........etc, etc.

Yes moving to the web is easy if you do your research and know what you're doing.

Remember with web that alot more BSFN's are mapped back to the Enterprise Server than with Citrix so make sure your Enterprise Server can handle the load.

Also with Web you MUST tune your JVM's, session timeout parameters, etc.

Colin

For research I'd start with www.ibm.com/redbooks. Look for "Websphere Product Overview and Architecture". The documentation for WAS tells you "how to" and not what you "should do". Remember that many people use WAS for other things besides PSFT so I find the documentation very general and not very usefull. The PSFT service pack install guide will get you running but not very quick. You'll need to do some tuning. There are a few docs on the KG (aka Customer/Partner Connection). I've attached a PPT that I use to show some of the options you have with WAS.

Colin

Back