Master planning driving production

JHD

Help please.

We are running OneWorld ERP8 SP5 on our as/400 server.

We want our master planner to drive production not straight demand and forcast. Is there a way to make master planning have control over what MRP does? Here is the example.

Sep 100 of part a ordered, Oct 500, Nov 100.
The system forces us to build 100 and aquire parts for 100 in Sep. but master planning wants to build 250 this month, 250 next and 200 the following. The system will not allow the 250 this month. MRP still forces 100 even if the forcast is upped to 250.

Hope that was clear as mud sorry i'm tring to relay what the master planner is telling me.

thank you
Joe

You should have posted this in the Applications Forum... (The first reply about leadtimes and safety stock is interesting as I am not sure what the Poster was suggesting. Sure, you can build Safety Stock but it sounds more as if you have a minimum capacity constraint.) The answer is to use the Processing Option for Generation Type = 5 in R3482. When the Planner creates the Work Order Header (F4801/P48013) then the R3482 will not replan it. It is effectively frozen. The MPS Item must have Planning Code = "1". You will find this Planning Code in the Item/Branch P41026 "Additional System Info".

You can also Freeze individual WO's with the Freeze Flag on the WO Header (P48013). A third alternative is to have a very long Freeze Fence in the Item/Branch record (F4102/P41026) and set the Message Display Fence less than Freeze Fence. This should have a similar effect to an MPS - ie, MPS won't replan it.

These are all worth a try.

Interestingly enough - in your circumstance, changing the Forecast SHOULD have changed the suggested Work Order. The fact that it didn't indicates that you may be using a Planning Fence Rule & Days that the Planner doesn't fully understand. Either some education is required or this wasn't completely communicated or understood between you. Either way I strongly suggest NOT changing the Forecast as this would seem to entirely defeat the object of Planning. The aim is to drive stock to zero in the long term. The Forecast should reflect actual Customer Demand and you shouldn't need to 'smooth' it as you have tried. It is bad practice.

By the way, there is functionality in Repetitive Manufacturing that will spread a Rate Work Order over a period of time based upon Capacity in a Production Line. If you want 250/month this might be helpful if minimum capacity is your constraint.

Your Planner may also wish to consider the use of a Minimum Reorder Quantity, Fixed Order Quantity or Order Multiples. All of these settings are explained in the Manual and you can find them in the Item/Branch record (P41026) under "Additional System Info" and "Quantities" Row Exits.

Back