Websphere/Fixpack6 Issues

Buster DAN

We are currently run Xe SP21 JAS on Websphere 4.0.4, with a SQL Server repository WAS database and Sequelink as the connector.

As part of our upgrade to Enterprise One 8.93_F1 I need to install Websphere on another server, get everything installed and tested to prove that all is well under 8.9 (well that was the plan until the latest series of problems)

We are using the Microsoft JDBC for SQL 2000 SP2 connector for this new install. With the earlier Websphere 4.0.1 to which I have applied Fixpack 6.

I have been through this install various times now and tried many different configuration changes but can I get the damn Websphere Admin service to start????...not a chance :mad:

I have also had advice from Peoplesoft and also another technical consultant but the problem persists and seems to relate JDBC. I have various logs from Websphere but Win2000 reports a error 10 when the service tries to start.

If anyone has come across similar problems in the past then I'd appreciate any advice you can offer.... He is a list of things I have done/tried to resolve this problem.

[*]Created database in SQL (called WAS40_89) set role and database permissions to EJSADMIN
[*]Installed JDBC on Web Server
[*]Installed WS, IBM HTTP Server and FP6
[*]Checked connection to port 80 - OK
[*]Copy JDBC .JAR files to \websphere\appserver\lib
[*]Update admin.config file with JDBC settings (see below)
[*]Update Initial_Settings.config with JDBC .JAR references
[*]Run the instjdbc.sql script on the SQL server (see below)
[*]Started Admin Server - service failed error code 10 - websphere report errors such as:-
[25/08/04 11:59:21:406 BST] 733d77b2 AdminServer X WSVR0009E: Error occurred during startup
java.lang.NoSuchFieldError: com.ibm.rmi.corba.ORB: field codeBaseSupported not found
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ORB.parseProperties(ORB.java:627)
at com.ibm.CORBA.iiop.ORB.set_parameters(ORB.java:1040)
at org.omg.CORBA.ORB.init(ORB.java:389)
at com.ibm.CORBA.services.lsd.LocationServiceDaemon.init(LocationServiceDaemon.java:288)
at com.ibm.CORBA.services.lsd.LocationServiceDaemon.<init>(LocationServiceDaemon.java:275)
at com.ibm.ejs.oa.LocationService.initServer(LocationService.java:143)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.Server.initializeLocationService(Server.java:1403)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.Server.initializeRuntime0(Server.java:939)
at com.ibm.ejs.sm.server.ManagedServer.initializeRuntime0(ManagedServer.java:408)
at com.ibm.ejs.sm.server.AdminServer.initializeRuntime0(AdminServer.java:1152)
at com.ibm.ws.runtime.Server.initializeRuntime(Server.java:884)
at com.ibm.ejs.sm.server.AdminServer.main(AdminServer.java:401)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Native Method)
at com.ibm.ws.bootstrap.WSLauncher.main(WSLauncher.java:158)

[25/08/04 11:59:21:453 BST] 733d77b2 AdminServer F WSVR0067E: Failed to initialize WebSphere Administration server
[25/08/04 11:59:21:484 BST] 733d77b2 SystemOut U WSVR0067E: Failed to initialize WebSphere Administration server

[*]Tried using different SQl accounts and also windows accounts to start the service

On one occassion when I started the admin service, although it did fail around 8 user tables were created within the SQL database - such as SE_TABLE and LOCK_TABLE

I was also give the following information by Peoplesoft regarding the JDBC setup which I have tried....

Installing WebSphere 4 Advanced Edition with the Microsoft SQL 2000 JDBC Drivers

Before you install WebSphere Application Server, ensure that you have done the following:
1. Install Microsoft SQL Server Type 4 JDBC Driver by executing the setup.exe program.
2. Use the SQL Server to create a user, a database, and associate the user with that database.
3. Install the SQL Server Java Database Connectivity (JDBC) XA stored procedures. This requires three steps:
• For Microsoft Type 4 Driver:
After installing the driver, create a directory SQLSERVER JTA under <<SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC>>.
• Copy the sqljdbc.dll file from the zip file to the <SQL Server root>/binn directory. For example, C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Binn.
• Use the ISQL utility to run the instjdbc.sql script from the zip file. The DOS prompt syntax for doing so is >ISQL -Usa -Psa_password -Sserver_name -i location\instjdbc.sql.
sa is the SQL Server system administrator user ID.
sa_password is the password for the system administrator.
server_name is the name of the server on which SQL Server is running.
location is the full path to the instjdbc.sql script. For example, >ISQL -Usa -Pmypasswd -S Ojai -i c:\instjdbc.sql.
The instjdbc.sql script generates many messages. These messages should be benign and can be ignored in most cases, but you should review the output for any messages that indicate an installation/execution error. The last message should indicate that instjdbc.sql ran successfully.

Configuring WebSphere Application Server Advanced Edition in order to use SQL Server with Type 4 Driver as administrative database.
The following document describes how to configure WebSphere Application Server Advanced Edition in order to use SQL Server with Type 4 Driver as administrative database.
1. Install WebSphere Application Server Version 4.0.1 with DataDirect (Merant) as database type then apply FixPak 4 to Version 4.0.1. Do not start the Admin server until you completed the following start.

2. Copy all of JDBC Driver JAR files to WebSphere Application Server library directory, for example, xcopy -R C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server 2000 Driver for JDBC\lib C:\WebSphere\AppServer\lib.

3. Check <WAS_HOME>\lib directory, for the following JAR files:
• For Microsoft Type 4 Driver: msbase.jar, msutil.jar, mssqlserver.jar

4. Update the admin.config file.
• Change value: com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbportNumber = 1433 (default is "19996").
• For Microsoft Type 4 Driver, change the value to com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbdataSourceClassName=com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver.SQLServerDataSource.
(default is com.merant.sequelink.jdbcx.datasource.SequeLinkDataSource)

5. Add one line at the end of the admin.config file:
• com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbselectMethod=cursor.

6. Update the initial_setup.config file:
Change value:
• For Microsoft Type 4 Driver:
<variable>
<name>jdbcDriver</name>
<value>c:/WebSphere/AppServer/lib/msbase.jar;c:/WebSphere/AppServer/lib/mssqlserver.jar;c:/WebSphere/AppServer/lib/mssqlserver.jar/msutil.jar
</variable>

7. Start WebSphere Application Server and the administrative console.

Sample Apps
In order to run sampleApp application successfully, you must do some changes on the Type 4 Driver data source:
• Expand Resources > JDBC Providers > Sample DB Driver.
• Select Data Sources.
• Select Datasource (SampleDataSource or Sample).
• In the General page, add selectMethod=cursor name-value in the Custom Properties.
• Click Test Connection should be " Test Connection Successfully".

Not sure if this will help or not. We just went through a SP23_C1, WAS 4.0.6 install on a Win2000 Server running SP4. This is everything up to the JAS install which should be similiar. The repository was SQL but it was on a remote server. When we put it on we installed Microsoft JDBC for SQL 2000 SP3 instead of SP2.

We didn't have to do any of the following so I'm not sure where they come into place:
[*]Update Initial_Settings.config with JDBC .JAR references
[*]Run the instjdbc.sql script on the SQL server (see below)

We had to update the admin.config as you did and now looks like this:

# Repository database settings
com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbdataSourceClassName=com.microsoft.jdbcx.sqlserver.SQLServerDataSource
com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbserverName=MYWEBSVR.my-domain.org
com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbportNumber=1433
com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbdatabaseName=JDE_WEBPY
com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbuser=EJSADMINPY
com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbpassword={xor}DA8eDQseEQ==
com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbdisable2Phase=true
com.ibm.ejs.sm.adminServer.dbselectMethod=cursor

We also had to add the following to the end of the
-Dws.ext.dirs path at the top of the file:
C:/WebSphere/AppServer/lib/app

Our initial_setup.config has this in it:
<variable>
<name>jdbcDriver</name>
<value>C:/WebSphere/AppServer/lib/sljcx.jar;C:/WebSphere/AppServer/lib/sljc.jar</value>
</variable>

If you are just trying to get the admin service up with a SQL repository, this is what we did according to the manual:

1. Installed the MS SQL 2000 Server driver SP3 on the JAS box.
2. After Websphere installed, we copied the three .jar files to C:\websphere\appserver\lib\app folder.
3. Created our SQL repository db along with admin user.
4. Install Websphere choosing Custom.
5. On Repository screen, choose Merant. For the path entered c:\websphere\appserver\lib\app.
6. Applied Fixpack 4.0.6.
7. Modified admin.config file.
8. Checked the httpd.conf file in C:\IBM HTTP Server\conf for the entry > Servername MYWEBSVR.my-domain.org
9. Start HTTP services (2)
10. Start Websphere.

Grant

Grant, many thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

I haven't tried any of your suggestions as yet but will do so tomorrow.... fingers crossed it will work!!

Cheers

Back