Time & Support Required For Upgrade?

rhunt01

Well Known Member
Hello List…I’m hoping a few kind hearted souls will be willing to answer some very general upgrade questions as I have never performed one…or seen one for that matter.

We are a relatively small OneWorld Xe installation…with myself being the only CNC tech and DBA. I am trying to estimate the time and cost of both an ERP 8.0 and an ERP 8.9 upgrade.

We currently only have two environments (DV7333, and PD7333), although I can rebuild CRP if need be. Also, we have very few custom mods, so custom upfits could probably happen in one day.

Some questions I am trying get answered (for both upgrade options) are:

1) About how long will each type of upgrade take per environment? For instance, can I upgrade DV7333 one weekend, and then prod over another weekend? Or can it exceed 48 hours?

2) Based on the list’s experiences, are there portions of the upgrade that can easily be performed by inexperienced CNC techs (who are rather good at following directions)? Which portions?

a. Also, are there portions of the upgrade that you would suggest having consultants available for?
b. For those portions of the upgrade, is remote consultancy acceptable – or is on-site consultancy required?

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Ryan

The first upgrade (732.1 to 733.1) I was involved in was 5 years ago. I was new to OneWorld and CNC so we hired some consultants from JDE. It was a disaster. The consultants were new to the process and there were lots of bug in the upgrade process. After a month of trying to upgrade DV and PY we pulled the plug on the JDE consultants (got our money back) and hired a business partner. They got us through the upgrade.

The second upgrade (733.1 to Xe) we did pretty much on our own. We hired a consultant at the initial stage for a two day meeting to make sure we had our ducks in a row. On production go live weekend we purchased the weekend support from JDE. Our first attempt was not successful, but we were sucessful the next weekend.

I'm currently working on the upgrade from XE to 8.10. I have created a project plan and swapped a few e-mails with the consultant we used on our last upgrade. This by far will be our most complicated upgrade. OS upgrade, database upgrade and unicode. If we need outside, onsite help I can get it.

As far as how long it takes...that's a loaded question. I believe the data conversion is the longest process (could be wrong, I'm not there yet) and that would depend on how big your database is. Ours, I believe will take over 48 hours.

Good luck

Patty

Great questions. As far as upgrade timing it really does depend upon the amount of data and your hardware. There are other questions that need to be answered also. First is what client are you on? Are you currently using Solution explorer(lightbulb) or aree you using oneworld explorer(globe). You need to be on Solution explorer (if using fat clients or citrix\tse) to get to 8.10. so as far as timing the total upgrade may not be able to be done in 48 hours per environment...however you should be able to do any portions that would require users out of the system over a weekend per environment.

If you are good at taking directions as you mentioned then you probably could do a good size chunk of this on your own...however I would definitely reccomend that you have some support for planning and to get you through some of the steps.

As far as remote...the answer is yes (lots of people will challenge this but I have done it) if you are properly set up for remote access this can be done and you can be supported remotely.

Feel free to contact me directly if you would like some more detail.

Scott
[email protected]

Back