SURVEY: Citrix Do you use the "W" environments or not?

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
SURVEY: Citrix Do you use the \"W\" environments or not?

I spoke with a company yesterday about Citrix and he mentioned that they have a 15-server farm for Citrix but that they are not using the "W" environments. Is this dangerous or perfectly fine?

Re: SURVEY: Citrix Do you use the \"W\" environments or not?

Hi Steven,

It is perfectly fine. If you search JDElist, you will find a lot of threads on this issue.

Steven,
The W environments were created in the olden days (a few years ago) when Citrix servers were way less powerful and way more $costly than they are today.
The goal was to move some of the processing to the Enterprise server to allow more users to "comfortably" occupy the Citrix server.
It was easier to justify $20,000 for a box if there were 30 users on it instead of 10.
Performance and reduced costs have afforded us up to almost 40 or 50 users per box and if you are using WebSphere you can support 200 users on the same hardware.

It will be fine. We have about 12 servers not using the W environments.

Nick

Do you not have an issue then with specs getting corrupt, or how do you handle running the R92TAM and R98CRTGL?

Steven,

you still have specs on the box regardless of whether you use 'W' environments or not. 'W' mainly deals with BSFNs - not spec based objects (its assumed your UBEs will run on the ES/AS regardless of the environment type if you're using thin clients).

Net, net your question is based on an invalid premise. :p

Nope, map BSFNs to run locally.

So if I understand this correctly then, the only benefit to the W environments is for resource heavy business functions to be redirected off the citrix machine? And if you have beefy Citrix machines you don't need to use the "W" environments at all? Also, if we don't use the "W" environments than JITI will not be disabled. Is this a concern that specs will get corrupt?

I just searched the list for "W" environment vs "non-w" environment performance issues, and it sounds like most ppl agree that the normal non-W environments are the way to go. However, my concern is the same as the above poster's....what about JITI? I plan on changing the W environment to look the same as the non-W environment and use the W environment just so JITI remains disabled.

The client I'm at is having performance issues on Thin clients when logged into the W environments...

thanks all

Bill

You'll need to use R92TAM on a fat client to build the data dictionary and then copy the files to the spec folders on the terminal servers. Then use R98CRTGL (also on a fat client) to build the global table specs, and copy those to the spec folders on the terminal servers. That will prevent most JITI from taking place (it still happens with UBE versions under certain circumstances). Look on the Peoplesoft site for document OTI-01-0060 "INSTALLING ONEWORLD ON THE TERMINAL SERVER UNDER W2K PROBLEM" for more detailed instructions.

Back