Sharing on Deployment server

jasvinder

IF sharing is stopped on B7334 folder or not allowed on the deployment server due to company policy can the client machines still communicate and update pakages installed. Also how do the client machines and the deployment server communicate that is which protocol?

You won't be able to check in certain objects. You won't be able to apply many ESU's. By default, Media Objects and helps are shared on the deployment server. You would break vital functionality in the app should you lose access to the Media Objects share. Even if you have moved them to another server - with a policy against sharing how could the application function as designed?

You won't be able to install packages unless the clients are given a direct path to the server drive where EnterpriseOne is installed, e.g. \\depserver\d$\peoplesoft\b9\oneworld client install.

If company policy doesn't allow shared drives I'm curious as to how you "share" information. Properly configured NTFS security can resolve most issues with loose permissions on shares.

The clients communicate with the deployment server using the SMB (CIFS) protocol over TCP/IP or another protocol of your choice like NetBUI. I'd say 99% use TCP/IP.

Dear Charles,

Thanks you very much for the info. There is one thing that came in my mind can we use ftp or can we communicate through ports(which are open) for resolving this issue.

Regards
Jasvinder

No.

OneWorld uses SMB to connect to the Deployment Server. The connectivity is driven through the foundation code, and there is no way to modify how this connectivity occurs.

In my opinion, FTP is WAY more buggy and a security risk in comparison, especially since passwords are sent across the wire in clear-text format. I have disabled Telnet and FTP pretty much across the board with my servers, and use SSH and SCP (which of course is the same port). Nothing is perfect, of course, but the encryption across the wire is certainly better than clear text.

But, to return to the question concerning the deployment server, you will be certainly restricted from use of any development tool - and, of course, the deployment server also contains the central location for the oneworld licenses. It is certainly possible to shut down the deployment server when it is not needed, but you must have the ability to get it back up and running again quickly to get to certain aspects of OneWorld.

Hi,

If you stop sharing you will not be able to ran package build, check-in Business functions/NER, install ESU, and ETC.... These function are hard coded to use the B7334 share.

Back