implementing PeopleSoft 8.9 on Sun

JDEboy

Regarding implementing PeopleSoft 8.9 on Sun:
-Which sun platform is supported by PeopleSoft 8.9?
-Which version from Linux is supported by PeopleSoft 8.9?
-Which version from oracle is supported by PeopleSoft 8.9?

guys your input is highly appriciated.

- Sun Solaris on SPARC processors only. Sorry, no Intel.

- None. You need to be on 8.10 to use Linux as an application server. You can still use Linux as your OS for hosting the database of your choice (so long as it is Oracle or DB2 UDB), but you are limited to 32-bit processing in the supported configuration (RedHat Linux Advanced Server 3.0 for x86.) If you are looking at Sun on Sparc, why bother with an OS limited to 32-bits? Solaris has been 64-bit for a long time and they scale up very, very well. Sun is planning on open sourcing Solaris. The big news of the week is that Sun will be offering 100% compatibility with all Linux applications running on RedHat Enterprise Server 3.0. The catch is this support is only offered on the x86 platform. Sun has gone back and forth supporting their proprietary OS on Intel hardware. Now that Linux is kicking their tail, they are on the bandwagon like most everyone but the usual suspects (Microsoft, Dell, Apple and don't forget SCO!)

- Oracle 9.2 in it's various iterations is supported. I believe 9.2.0.4 with RAC is supported starting with 8.10.

What I think you are going to find as time goes by is more support for a wide range of hardware and software from multiple vendors. The reason PeopleSoft is now supporting WebLogic 8.1 for EnterpriseOne is because this is their preferred web application server platform This means their larger customers win when it comes to competitively pricing WebSphere against WebLogic. I'm sure more than a few customers have been told they need to purchase the entire technology foundation for WebSphere when they really didn't need it. I believe there were plans to require it for security beginning with SP3 but it was obviously shelved due to changes in their strategic direction.

Linux is out on 8.93_F1 !

There are now downloads available on the Knowledge Garden Update Center with this version of OneWorld !!! Very very cool stuff !!!

Secondly - why use a 64bit OS as an application server when OneWorld is written in 32bit for windows ! Although compiled on 64bit OS's - it does not take any advantage of a 64bit OS - and quite literally a Solaris box trying to "emulate" 32bit software is a laugh and a half. Its FAR faster on Linux 32bit - believe me !

However, 64bit intel and AMD processors are here, and the open source OS's are already ready for them (Redhat and FreeBSD are already Hammer compliant). I also know from a previous post that JDE is inserting certain 64bit calls into Oneworld - so we should be seeing a 64bit version of OneWorld as soon as microsoft lift themselves up to 64bit processors. I imagine 64bit EnterpriseONE will be standard in about 3 years.

You are correct. 8.93F1 now supports RedHat Linux Advanced Server. The release level clearly states "8.9". I read the tools release information last week and it said 8.10 would be the first release to support Linux as an app server. I'm not surprised in the least. I would definitely call PeopleSoft before putting a Linux server in production with 8.9. There seems to be some confusion within their own ranks.

I agree with you on the 32-bit versus 64-bit debate. PeopleSoft does not optimize their EnterpriseOne code for 64 bit processors on the RISC platform. I tested compiling 64-bit libraries on my HP lab box using the +DS2.0W switch in the server JDE.INI. Amazingly, it worked. The sad part is we have no control over the compiler optimizations PeopleSoft uses for the foundation code. This means we are still stuck in 32-bit land and there is absolutely no advantage over an Intel processor running Linux. You are right - it will always be faster so long as the MHz is so much higher. What I was really referring to in my 32-bit or 64-bit comments was the database server. Oracle may perform better when you go wider on a 64-bit platform. The Oracle release supported on RedHat Linux is 32-bit only. So I guess I'd like to see performance benchmarks and proof that you can scale an organization with >1000 interactive users on 32-bit Linux running on an 8 processor Dell server.

I have a particular point of view when it comes to running your applications on Linux. The "cool" factor doesn't amount to a hill of beans to most businesses. What does matter is the total cost of ownership. If you are debating the purchase of a four or eight processor Linux server versus like configured Sun server - by all means go with the Linux box. From what I have seen in the past, Linux doesn't scale as well as Solaris, AIX or HP-UX once you go higher than 8-12 processors. I believe they have made up some ground with the 2.6 kernel release. Remember that RedHat only supports the 2.4 kernel with their own custom modifications.

Charles

Just to clarify, EnterpriseOne Tools 8.93 does support Linux, but only if used with EnterpriseOne 8.10.
I was a bit confused by the new naming conventions, but as I understand it, latest Tools release (equivalent to Service Pack) is 8.93, and this is compatable with EnterpriseOne releases 8.9, 8.10 and onwards.

Back