cnc terms

ekben

Well Known Member
dear all and neil,
can help in explaining the below term. can use layman terms? what is the relationship between them? i read thru manual but still dun quite get it.
1) data source - my understanding is the source like dd, obj librarian, control table, business data, central obj,.... so actually what is this for?
2) what are obj librarian, control table, business data, central obj?
3) environment. my understanding is environment = pathcode + ocm mapping. environment like production, development, pristine. so to enter correct environment we must use snapshot to swap, rite?
4) what actually a pathcode? for example list of pathcode like prodb733, devb733, crpb733,...... so actually pathcode refers to?
5) ocm. what actually is this?

ocm
pathcode
environment

I understand that this is very stressful jumping jobs. Have you thought that maybe this job is not for you? I'm sure I would make a very poor ballet dancer, so I do not try to become one - there's really not much point...

Regards,
Alex.

i appreciate if u can help but if u dun pls dun put in anything hurting others feelings.

I don't think that Alex meant to hurt any feelings... it's just that the questions you ask are so broad, it would take a long time to answer them. Perhaps a base PeopleSoft/OneWorld course is needed to bring you up to speed on these terms. You can also go to the Knowledge Garden to try and find the documents you seek.
Mike Kissel AS/400 XE

guitarman,
thanks. but can u just explain a bit further as at least i've got the explanation. think almost there just a bit of help from you all.

I agree. This has been suggested on numerous occasions.

>3) environment. my understanding is environment = >pathcode + ocm mapping. environment like production, >development, pristine. so to enter correct environment we >must use snapshot to swap, rite?

Someone is letting you into their production environment? If this is the case, they should be doing so in a controlled environment where you have no change access to any data.

It sounds as if you have been hired by someone to perform work which requires a specific skillset. It's not terribly difficult for someone with a background in IT to pick these up these concepts and run with them. I had a tough time with some of the concepts the first few weeks, but a two day "Intro to CNC" class helped clear up a lot of questions. Working with the product and READING the online helps and KG documents also helped trememdously. I suggest you do the same. If you were to search through this board you may find a lot of questions have already been answered. Judging by some of your other posts you are making some progress. Slowly but surely you will figure some of this stuff out...and by then it will have all changed and you can learn it all over again. Just like the rest of us. :)

dear cmanderson,
any specific subject posted which i can refer to?
thanks

This supports my contention that the original intent of JD Edwards and it's OneWorld product was designed, with a whole new set of terms and definitions, for the specific purpose of selling training and education courses.
Ekben is trying to get a basic understanding of how this beast works and yet the answers (when using JDE CNC SPEAK) are too complicated and broad to give any clearly defined answers.
It is like a car mechanic being shown a jet and told to fix it, none of his specialized car training will help him with the jet engine.
PeopleSoft has definitely stepped away from this training and education model, just try to find info on classes/prices/schedules etc. It is almost impossible.
Ekben, I'm afraid your best bet to understanding will be a two day CNC training course. I have spent 4 years trying to teach my managers the difference between a Package a UBE and a Version.
Don't give up Ekben bit by bit you will understand.
Perhaps if you limit the question to a single thing then you can steer them into an understanding.

"Ballet dance" is yet another technical terminology in PeopleSoft. But we can't explain it to you. It's a very advanced topic.

Ah ekben, I think it's a fine question. We all have to start somewhere.

I'll do my best to put this stuff in simple terms. CNC concepts are not easily understood at first glance--even if you DO read the book or attend the class. Hopefully the seasoned technicians browsing this topic will spare us both from confusing nitpicking and ceaseless correction for what I'm about to write. I'm open to anyone who can constructively augment my feeble attempt at putting this into words someone fresh can process.

(1) A "Data Source" is a database or a collection of tables for a certain purpose. There are data source pointers in OneWorld--pointing to software objects or business-related databases--and in Windows. In my case, Business Data points to the PRODDTA library on my AS400. OneWorld looks for certain data sources throughout your session, from when you first log on, when you run your applications, when you submit reports, and when you log out.

(2)
- Object Librarian contains information about all the software objects used and modified in OneWorld.
- Control Tables contain, among other details, technical records and "next numbers" (sales order numbers, purchase order numbers, etc.)
- Business Data contains all the "live" production data: customer & vendor information, sales orders, purchase orders, ledger, inventory, EVERYthing
- Central Objects tables contain the actual software objects in OneWorld--including binary code calls "specs."
- Test Data: You didn't mention this, but it serves as a good example of a data source. The "Test Data" source tells OneWorld that you want to look at pretend data rather than live production data. You would likely use Test Data while signed into the Prototype environment.

(3) When you sign into OneWorld, you identify yourself, give a password, and specify which environment you will use during this session. Think of an environment as a place. The Production environment is the place where do your real work. The Development environment is where you change and test programs on test data. JDEdwards/PeopleSoft implementations usually have four: Pristine (JD733x), Development (DV733x), Prototype (PY733x), and Production (PD733x). How many you have and what they are used for is completely up to you--and there is quite a bit of setup needed to create your own.

Snapshot is for something completely different--for when you're upgrading the software and might need to switch back to the old version temporarily. It renames the main program folder and archives a couple registry keys and essential OneWorld configuration files.

(4) In simplest terms, a pathcode is a folder in Windows with all its subfolders and files. Each environment has a corresponding pathcode that contains folders and files that environment needs for you to use it. For example, the PD7333 pathcode on a developer machine contains these subfolders:

-Bin32
-BusObj
-data
-include
-lib32
-log
-obj
-res
-source
-spec
-work

(5) OCM--Object Configuration Manager--is a fancy name for a program you use to tell OneWorld what computers in your environment will be used to do certain things. It's designed to allow complex organizations to spread the processing load around onto other machines when possible. For example, you might have one server that processes Sales and Purchase Orders but another server that handles financial reports exclusively. In a simple environment, all OCM records will point to the same machine.

Hope that helps! Bring on those newbie questions!

Very good Tim,
I would not change a thing.
Ekben,
Please ask more and I'll try to help also.

Thanks Tim--for your patience in explaining this. Even though I have lots-o-experience with CNC, the simplified explanation is nice. You are a good man to answer this and thanks for your willingness to answer the "newbie" questions that many might mistake as silly.

Back