Multiple developer workstation instance on WTS

JT43

Hi All,
I'm trying to create multiple developer instance (similar to a workstation) on a windows terminal server. any documentation you can share? or is this possible at all?

Yes it is Possible. We had simulated such a situation. What you need to do this is create different b7 folders with names like b701 b702 b703. create users with the same names ie b701 b702. Modify the jde.ini to enable the development.

One thing to consider is that you can only do report design on Terminal servers. Reason being is that Microsoft does not support the C++ compiler on a terminal server being used by multiple users.

do I need to define the set-up in OneWorld? (i.e., in the machine identification) also, what and where in the JDE.ini should I make the change?
thanks

dan, I can't even check-out or do a get on business views and files. does it mean i am really limited to UBEs?

Well let me elaborate on what we had done to enable development on a WTS. It is quite some time we did that but still i can share all the steps i remember.
Install OneWorld on the WTServer.This machine is also a citrix server. Remember that you will have to install the OneWorld using the AddRemove Program utility and not the way we generally install a client. Now copy the B7 folder into say 4 new folders ie B701 B702 B703 B704. This will need lot of space as each folder will take some 3 GB. Now create the users in the WTS same as the folders. ie B701 B702 B703 B704. Publish the OneWorld application on Citrix. The modification in jde.ini is.. add the entry OWDevloper=true under debug section. The path for log file and debug log shoudl also be changed to a path which is created by windows upon creating the windows user. One more change is under Install section. Change the B733=C:\B7 to B733=C:\B70X where X=1 2 3 or 4.
The most imp point is copy the jde.ini to the WINDOWS folder inside Documentsandsettings\USERNAME\WINDOWS folder.
Again USERNAME will be B701 B702 B703 AND B704. The log files can also point to this location.

Now login to the citrix client and open the oneworld applicaiton. Login as B701 or as the case may be. By the way these users ie B70x should also be the jde users. This should work.
As far as i remember, we were able to do remote development for Applications and UBE.
I shall try to remember if i have missed out any point.

The only part you need is the "OWDeveloper=TRUE" value in the [DEBUG] stanza.

Keep in mind that whether or not it can be done, C++ development on a terminal server is not supported or legal by Microsoft's license model.

thanks dan, I will keep that in mind. if I can make it work, i might have to assign non C++ developers to it.

Karthik,
thanks for the long response, I appreciate all the coaching I can get. Just to summarize, users has to be created for each instance (complete with JDE logins using the B7xx convention). let me try setting it up and will update as I go.

just to close this post, I like to let everybody (i.e, kiyer_2000 and dan richards) who responded know that I was able to set it up and now being tested. thanks for all the input.

Back