Upgrade from Xe to EO89

gary4444

Hi everyone,

We face a challenging question on the upgrade from Xe to EO89. Our existing Xe are running on HP9000 with Oracle 8i. We bought another HP with Oracle 9i. How is the upgrade process so as to convert data/spec from 8i to 9i?

We have now come up with the following methods:
1. Export Oracle 8i Xe database and then import to Oracle 9i Database on new HP. Then install OW Xe on new HP to do the upgrade and conversion.

2. I'm not sure that the upgrade must be done on an XE or we can do it on EO89 environment by using "from-data source" and "to-data source" to map the existing and new database.

Would anyone experienced the similar upgrade process please share your experience. Also, would you think the above methods viable?

Many thanks.

Gary

I don't believe you can simply export out of 8i and import into a 9i database. There is an oracle upgrade process. Alot of it has to due with the Unicode. I'm not an Oracle DBA (we have one). Also, you didn't mention what version of HP-UX you are running, for 8.9 you must be on HP-UX 11i.

Patty

Gary,
This shouldn't be too difficult, I would first carry out the
preparatory work on the 8i server for your DV and PY. Once this is done you
can export these object owners to your new 9i server, and change all the
datasource pointers to this server. Then you can replace the oracle client
on the deployment server and carry out the DV/PY upgrade. When your doing
your production cutover, you can export and import these schemas onto your
new server and change the datasource pointers to the new server and carry out
this portion of the upgrade. You can go down the route of "from and to"
datasources configuring the business data and control tables during the
upgrade process, but is probably more hassle than its worth.
One thing to take into account is that support for Oracle 9i for XE came in a
relatively recent service pack....
Hope this helps
Kieran Fitzgerald

Hi Gary,

You will want to check out the MTR (Minimum technical requirements) on the Peoplesoft support site as there are some O/S requirements (patches) you need to apply prior to going to Oracle 9 for HP9000.

You will also want to read every MTR related to Xe (Client, Database, Enterprise) and see if you have to get your service pack level up or not. We went from Oracle 8.1.7 32 bit to 9.2.0.4 - 64 Bit and I had to install service pack 22 (we were at SP 18.1).

Cheers

Morglum

Thanks.

Our HP OS is ver. 11i.
My major concern is how the process to upgrade our Xe to EnterpriseOne 8.9 at the same time the database is upgraded to 9i?

Re: RE: Upgrade from Xe to EO89

Thnaks Kieran.

Is it a must to run the upgrade on Xe? Or I can run it on EO89 (a new install) with "from-data srouce" pointing to Xe ?

RE: RE: Upgrade from Xe to EO89

Gary,
you will have to run the upgrade as there are significant changes
between the two releases in terms of db layout amongst other things. This
will ensure that your business data gets converted and that your code changes
are brought forward to the new release...
Regards,
Kieran Fitzgerald

Back