Compatibility of V5R2 on B7332

shoemakert

AS/400 Listers:

We are in the process of upgrading to ERP8 from B7332. Our plan was to get current on JDE SP21 then upgrade the O/S to V5R2, followed by the JDE Release to ERP8. We set up multi-foundation and have upgraded DEV and CRP to SP21. We will be upgrading PROD in the next few weeks. We purchased another AS/400 which came with V5R2. I am trying to load B7332 on the server (with SP21) to have a good test environment prior to upgrading the production server to V5R2.

I can not get the workbench to execute properly on the new server and set up a test environment. PeopleSoft is telling me that I can not get B7332 on the new server because the deployment server (on V4R5) can not communicate with the new server (on V5R2). Apparently Client Access Express only communicates between two release levels. PeopleSoft also says that that B7332 will not work on V5R2 regardless of SP21. Has anyone found a way around this? Does anyone have B7332 running on V5R2 in production? If so, did you get there from V4R5 or V5R1? Please don't laugh at the current configuration below. We are trying to get on a supportable configuration.

I do know of one customer that is on B732 that recently updated to V5R2 - if they can run on that late an OS, then you should be able to too. That wasn't a typo by the way - B732 NOT B7332 !!! Spoke to them recently, and will be able to get more information regarding that if you need it.

However, it seems you're trying to communicate to V5R2 database through a V4R5 Client Access Express version ? For your sandbox, I'd recommend getting hold of another PC and installing the deployment server software on the second machine - which would then allow you to upgrade that PC to V5R2 client access.

However, it is a little concerning that client access cannot run between the two releases. I'd recommend installing V5R1 on the PC and seeing if it can communicate to both AS/400's which would be necessary for the upgrade.

I've done this exact same upgrade several times before. I'm not sure you're doing it the easiest way. Suppose that your old AS/400 is running V4R5 with B7332 SP 15. The new iSeries will run V5R2 and Xe with SP23.

what you want to do is setup the 2 IBM boxes EXACTLY the same. Do a previous -to - current release migration, ie. do a full save on the AS/400 from V4R5 and a full restore on the new iSeries running V5R2 (see the BRMS redbook).

Next set up the new iSeries on a seperate network segment with the deployment server. Run the upgrade on the deployment server and new iSeries (DV and PY). Note you're still live on the old AS/400 for B7332 but "testing" DV and PY on the new iSeries on a SEPERATE network segment.

When it comes time to upgrade PROD do a save on the AS/400 of the PROD libraries and a restore on the iSeries, the DB2 conversion will run automatically.

Then run the upgrade for PROD on the new iSeries. When you're happy just switch the network cables for the iSeries and AS/400. If your upgrade failed then just switch them back........viola fool proof (mostly).

Colin

Back