Update pkgs to Citrix

CNC_Kid

Is it "OK" to deploy update packages to Citrix terminal servers?. I've heard some divided feedback locally on this topic and would appreciate some outside knowledge pleez.

As long as there are no users on the system during deployment, its fine to deploy update packages on the Citrix Terminal Servers.

I have experienced update packages deployment to Citrix servers. No issue.
JDE would recommend to build a full package after 10 updates... Just in case.

The most important thing to observe is that no one should be on the server while installing an update. It's been my experience that "Pushing" packages to terminal servers is very difficult and not very dependable. Mainly because you need the terminal server in "Install" mode prior to the package installation. As far as what type of package can be installed on a terminal server, it doesn't matter. Unless you do partial packages. Don't deploy a partial package to a terminal server, aw hell, just don't build a partial package at all, build an update package instead. :)

I hope this helps!

Dan

We do update packages all the time to our servers using Add/Remove Programs. Don't forget to rebuild global tables (and data dictionary if necessary).

We've deployed some small update packages lately on our Citrix servers (no users logged in, install mode via Add/Remove Programs) and have /not/ rebuilt the global tables; it's so slooooow. Should I rebuild every time, even for teeny-weeny packages?

We also frequently install update packages to our Citrix servers. For update packages, it's not necessary to put the server in "install" mode; that's only required for the initial installation (and full packages, just to be safe).

Graham, the need to rebuild Data Dictionary and Global Tables depends on the types of objects in the update. UBEs and Interactive Apps generally don't require it (and Business Views). If you have new or modified tables, data structures, data dictionary items, you should rebuild them.

I agree with Bilby. No problems and Install mode not necessary except for Full Builds. If you do not deploy the update (I use Install Manager) how will your users see the changes in the update package? And you certainly do not want to do FBs that often. Have fun!

Update packages are perfectly ok to install. However, your "divided feedback" is probably related to the following facts.

1. After installing an update package, you MUST rebuild the GLBLTBL and DDDICT files using R92TAM and R98CRTGL. Usually, I keep these files built and stored on the deployment server and copy them back to the terminal servers each time I deploy an update.

2. Update packages will slow down the speed of opening applications in oneworld. The TAM files become fragmented, the more update packages that are deployed, the more fragmented the TAM file will become. A rule of thumb is that you should build full packages after around 8-10 updates - but sometimes this can become noticeable even earlier.

3. Don't try and "Push" packages to a Terminal Server. Don't try and identify packages as a Install Group - instead, use the OneWorldClientInstall/Setup.exe to install the package - or, which I use, use a Silent Install in a Batch script to install each package so installs become fast and simple.

4. Consider using "TSE Commander" from Pastuhov Consulting - this also helps push updates to terminal servers on a scheduled basis - or even while users are logged in !

Back